[67] Capture The Flag

Three Years Ago...

"Who's ready to rumble?!" Toad shouts at the top of his tiny lungs, getting everyone in the town square excited and ready.

"Now, now, don't harm yourselves." Princess Peach's voice rang out, a gentle yet commanding presence that quelled her people. Standing tall behind Toad, she addresses the crowd. "This year marks the extraordinary five hundredth anniversary of the Mushroom Kingdom and its grand festival. And to commemorate this milestone, we are introducing a new challenge, inspired by the same trial I faced when I bore the role of the Toadstool Princess."

The citizens erupted in cheers that echoed through the streets, prompting a chuckle from Peach at their unwavering adoration for her.

As the clamor subsides, she begins to speak once more.

"It's called 'Capture the Flag'. Everyone starts here at the outer base of the village, going through obstacles that may or may not be in the way and capturing the green flag on top of the pole. The end goal is located at the castle before the main entrance." The blonde explains, all eyes and ears focused on her, including yours, within the midst of the crowd.

Sounds interesting enough.

I wonder what the prize is...

Peach pauses dramatically, allowing the anticipation to build. "And I bet you're all dying to know the prize, right?" She teases, drawing out her words. With a mischievous smile, she reaches down behind her and triumphantly reveals a bright yellow mysterious block. "Ta-da! This is it!"

Everyone gasps in unison, including yourself, and then a spark of determination comes through. 

"The main rule is the usage of any power-ups is strictly forbidden. Does everyone understand?"

You all nod and prepare yourself for the big race.

Toad gracefully hops out from his spot at the stand, positioning himself next to you. The rest of them either follow suit or stand aside on the sidelines and become spectators. 

The bond you share with Toad stretches far back, predating this event.

And if you two have something in common, you both have always been incredibly competitive at events like this.

"Good luck, (F/n)! You'll need it."

You chuckle at his self-assured attitude. "Thanks, and likewise..." Rolling up your sleeves, you eagerly position yourself, ready to sprint as soon as everyone is released from the starting line.

He got ready too.

At the resonating chime of the bell, you felt a slight lift from the ground below. As one of the tallest citizens in the kingdom, your height proved advantageous, granting you an unobstructed view of those ahead. The distinctive mushroom hats everyone wore also aided in clearly discerning the individuals scattered in the crowd.

Toad, a swift and experienced runner who had captained many adventures and excelled at tracking treasure, dashed off with incredible speed, his feet barely grazing the ground. His intimate knowledge of the kingdom enabled him to navigate the streets and walkways effortlessly. 

The sound of approaching footsteps and chatter signaled that others were in hot pursuit. 

Just as you were closing in on Toad, a blur streaked past both of you. 

To everyone's shock and surprise, a familiar figure, Toadette, surged ahead.

"Don't fall behind, guys!" Toadette, renowned for her lightning reflexes, effortlessly weaved through the crowd, her eyes scanning for the distant flag and any competitors ahead.