Chapter 1 - Family Problems (Edited)

SHAWN MENDES IS THE PERFECT MATCH FOR THIS BOOK COVER 👍🏻😄

JACOB

It's a pretty tense atmosphere in the house right now. The ceiling fan in my room isn't doing much in cooling the air here. It's creaking and making all sorts of absurd noises and the only way to get cool air is from the air conditioner downstairs which broke for God knows how long now and my parents refused to fixed it. Even the upcoming summer heat wave isn't helping much of the matter either.

I look out my window and I see some kids my age down the block skateboarding. One of those kids is Isabella, the leader of The Gang as the group of friends she has call themselves. She and her other friends make it somewhat bearable. I guess it's not all that bad since they at least include me in their lives ever since we moved to this shitty neighborhood some months ago after my dad lost our house to the bank which he owed. It also resulted to me loosing all the things and people I cared about and loved the most. Mom hasn't even taken it easy on him either. It wasn't an all too great house anyways but it was manageable at the time.

This current house is worse than it.

Old wallpapers that were peeling off here and there, leaking pipes almost everywhere, ugly tiles and old carpets. Even the furnitures were too old for the wear. Sometimes I look around the house and then at myself and wonder where it all went wrong. Never mind, I know the answer already.

I look out the window again and I see her coming to the direction of my house. My window to be exact. She started coming there to talk with me after I had ignored her many times cause I was still brooding in my anger and also avoiding her after our first encounter which was... well I don't know what to say of it.

3 days after we moved here, I went to the nearby store to see what they had and if I could afford it and also to escape this living hell of a house and there she was, standing in the gift shop section. I ignored her at first and went my way minding my business like every other person but then I saw it. I tried ignoring it but I saw it again, this time even more vividly. It felt too real and painful to watch. I had to act and fast.

"Hi, please could you step aside," I said to her and she turned to give me a weird look and then turned around showing me there was more space for me to walk around.

"No, I'm sorry, I meant..." instead of trying to explain myself any further,  I grab her by the hand and pulled her towards me as I took further steps backwards.

"What the hell-" She tried to retract her hand away from mine but before she could complete her sentence the ceiling behind her came crashing down on where she was standing.

She looked shocked at what just happened and the little number of customers were alerted by the loud crash and stopped to see what happened

"No otra vez, esta puta mierda me está costando dinero." 'Not again, this fucking shit is costing me money' The man at the register who seemed to be the owner of this mini store curses.

The girl looks at me in fear and It feels like the levers are turning in her head as she tries to figure out what just happened.  She's also probably still in shock.

"I'm sorry, I have to go." I turn around and bolt out the door not feeling like spending the little money I had anymore.