𝑰

~𝒀/𝑵~

Ketterdam. City of the Damned. One may say that you haven't experienced all of Kerch until you've been here, and they're right.

The gambling, pleasure houses, and gangs had shaped the city into what it is today. I ended up here in the first place because I went on a boat from Ravka when I was only 15.

I was running from something, but I couldn't remember what. Whatever it is, it was buried deep inside me and is clawing to get out.

It was waiting for an event to trigger it, just like a trap.

My 'unique' and 'different' powers had been a part of me since I could remember, even at a young age. I learned the hard way of what I am capable of.

The hard way was in experiencing the death of a few animals in my pre-teen years.

Now, it was nighttime, the prime of Ketterdam. Everyone was awake and going out to clubs, pleasure houses, bars, and whatever entertained them at night.

My hideout was in the abandoned part of a District which name was not memorable. It wasn't far from the general stores I visited frequently for my goods, as I did earlier in the evening.

I tugged on my pocket and pulled a paper from my bag. It was a small job listing on a secret bulletin board I had gotten earlier in a hidden corner of Ketterdam.

The job was to find someone in particular, intentions unknown, but whatever paid good.

I began my walk by going to most of the gambling places that the Dime Lions owned. Looking at the paper in my hand, I feel someone bump into me.

I fall to the ground and see that they're to the left of me—someone with a bowler hat and two pistols in their holsters. I look at the hand offered to me, and I look up at the gentleman.

I realize—my hood is off, and he can see my eyes. He wouldn't want to be seen with a freak like me. I grab the paper and run off, not wanting his attention.

I push through the crowds, ignoring the heavy heartbeats coming out of my chest. I'm more worried about getting back to my hideout safely.

After passing the Crow Club, I turned right on an alleyway to catch my breath. I look both ways before removing my hood and crawling underneath one of the wagons to my underground hideout.

I jump down from the ladder and set the paper on my desk. Sitting on my bed, I take out everything I could pick up.

Some medicine, bread, and small decorations for my hideout.

I put everything away and grabbed the job listing I had snatched earlier. I set the paper on the floor and sat in front of it.

My hands are on my side, and I slowly move my fingers and close my eyes, wrists facing upwards. I concentrate on the name on the paper.

Alastair Den Ouden.

I am taken to one of the higher-end gambling places in Ketterdam. The environment around me and everyone is a very slowed-down blur. Time is moving very little, almost still. Their outfits and hair colors blur in the background, letting me focus on finding the person I need to complete this job.

Glancing around, I see someone who isn't blurred. That must be him. I slowly walk around the people and examine what he's wearing.

He wore a maroon jacket, a silver hat, black slacks, and big rings on his fingers, which mainly contained particular gemstones.

Emerald, topaz, opal, and alexandrite. It must have a personal meaning.

I walked closer to examine what would make this Alastair stand out. His hair was dirty blonde with one grey stripe on his left side and a subtle mustache growing in.