𝑰𝑽

~Y/N~

In the carriage, it felt cramped and not comfortable at all. On one side, Jesper and Arken were sitting, and on the other, I was in the middle, with Inej to my left and Kaz on my right.

After hours of silence, Kaz speaks up. "I didn't hire you simply to get us across the Fold. You're with us because you smuggle Grisha out of the Little Palace, and that's the location of our target."

Inej adds, "Sun Summoner." "Alleged." I try to look out the window beyond the small curtain, not remembering being beyond Ketterdam and Keramzin. Hell, how did I end up in Ketterdam in the first place?

"They wouldn't keep a fraud in the most secure location in all of Ravka." I look over at Inej and then back at Arken.

"You said you have a contact who can get us inside. A Heartrender."

He nods, and Kaz voices his concern. "How do I know we can trust her?" "Nina grew up there." says Arken. "Most Grisha grew up in the Little Palace. Very few would betray their general, and fewer still would help foreigners kidnap their most prized possession."

Arken continues. "Nina's a radical. Thinks Grisha should get to choose if they serve the Crown. She despises involuntary service more than she does Fjerdans." A few moments later, we arrive at the Inn. We all get out as Kaz pays for their services.

Kaz leads the rest of us inside, and Jesper asks the Innkeeper, "Nina Zenik's room?" He stops counting the cash in his hand and points upstairs. "Down the hall, to your left, and it is the last room at the end."

I nod, and the innkeeper gives me a dirty look. I glare at him back. I trail behind Jesper as we go up the stairs and into her room. It is opened, and only her suitcase of belongings is left on her bed.

Arken paces around the room and says, "She knew to expect us." "She isn't late. She's gone." I look up at Kaz and try to see where he's coming from.

"Yes, but her things are all." Arken flips the suitcase and spots a small pin. "What is it?" Jesper asks. Arken says, "Drüskelle. They are ruthless Grisha hunters." "Explains the Fjerdan krydda the innkeeper was counting when we arrived. It's likely he ratted her out."

I go over to the bed and look at the pin. I am not familiar with the marking or branding of it. Arken adds, "She's probably captive on a ship to Fjerda by now."

After Inej inspects the window, she tells Kaz. "They had a clear line of attack." "Take a look. Make sure there aren't any more surprises." Inej disappears in a heartbeat, and I look over at Kaz. "Well, that's that. We've lost our way into the Little Palace."

I don't like Arken that much. Well, his attitude is terrible right now. We all exit with Kaz out of the building, and on cue, Inej drops down after her findings. "All clear." she says. 

"This seems like a reasonable juncture to abandon this whole Sun Summoner plan." "Abandon?" Kaz asks. "We're in this now. And I know what a million kruge means to me. What does it mean to you?"

"Freedom," says Inej.

"Fun. Like, at least a few months."

"Retirement."

Everyone looked at me like I needed to know what that amount of kruge meant. But the truth is that I don't know what I'll do with it. I glare at all four of them and roll my eyes. "Right, so we press on. You get us across the Fold and I'll figure out the rest on the other side."

"Fine." Arken says. He sets down his suitcase, pulls out a notepad, and uses a writing utensil to create a list. Arken continues, "To cross, I'll need 20 pounds of alabaster coal. A peck of Majdaloun jurda. Uh, not the kind from Kerch. It's too weak. And, uh... a goat."