𝑽𝑰

~Y/N~

After doing the last shows, the time has come. Inej and I had gone through a route that made us unseen in the Little Palace. Using my powers with the most powerful Grisha in the country is a risk I couldn't take; I would've been a prisoner in a heartbeat.

We go to the meeting point where Inej, Arken, and I get our uniforms from Kaz. Inej is first. "Is it my size?" she asks. "You have to ask?"

"Do you remember what happened last time we did this? Got me a man's uniform." Kaz says, "It worked, didn't it?" "Just be happy I'm eager to get out of... this." She says.

Kaz hands me mine, and I look down at it. It looks like it would fit. I gaze at him before joining Inej to wear our regular clothes and the guard uniform. I made sure my eyes were still E/C in a small mirror.

Inej and I get near our positions, where Kaz stands by the doorway where the actual demonstration occurs. But before we go to our spots, we stop by Kaz. "It's reflective glass. You ounce the light into that, and people won't know whether it's coming or going."

The applause dies, and Alina gets on the main stage with General Kirigan. "Her name is Alina Starkov. And she will bring liberation to us all." he says. Kirigan summons shadow all around the room with a clap of his hands.

Alina started with a small ball of light, rotating it in her right hand. She then brought a second light to her left, pushing the two light sources near the glass. The chandelier's colors were gorgeous.

The light then explodes within the center of the room, flashing a tiny bit of darkness before it is restored. Everyone then praises Sankta Alina. The festivities continue, and we realize Alina hasn't been taken to the Fitting Room.

Inej picks up on the lateness and goes up to Kaz. "The lynx flush was to smoke out Arken." She says. "Like I said, our futures depend on this. I saw two identical dresses in the fitting room. The target is wearing one, and an Inferni about the same height and build was measured for the other. They need the target for the demonstration, but afterward at the reception, that's when they'll deploy a double for security reasons. So, I set Arken after the double while we stay on the target."

I realize what he meant. "Arken will get caught, after what he did." I add. Kaz says, "He chose his fate in Novokribirsk when he met with Zlatan."

"What if you're wrong? What if we sand bagged him with a lynx flush, and the meeting had nothing to do with this?" Inej says. "The only two men in the world who profit off the Fold? Doubtful. Now."

The three of us are now proceeding with the next phase. We approach her, and Kaz begins, "Miss Starkov. We are to escort you to dinner. Could you come with us, please?" I whisper something under my breath and make it so Alina won't recognize me.

Her mind now thinks I am someone else, different.

"I thought, um... A-Actually, I am quite hungry." Kaz guides the direction, and we follow her. We are met with Kirigan, saying. "Thank you. I'll take her from here."

He holds out some flowers for her. "For you." The General says. The two walk off together, and we turn to each other. "All right. Plan B." says Kaz.

We see the male Inferni from earlier give us a look. Our cover is blown, and I can't do anything drastic in front of all these people. "Scratch that. Plan F. Y/N, Inej, stay on the target and meet me at the escape route."

"He's an Inferni. Don't take chances."

With that, Inej and I are off on our side mission. I flick off the transformation glamour I used for Alina earlier. From what we saw, nothing so far. "Y/N." I look at Inej. "I can handle tracking the target, make sure Kaz isn't in trouble." I nod and hastily go in the direction Kaz went. I hear a commotion near the church area and make it that way.