𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐈𝐍 𝐇𝐈𝐓 𝐂𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐀 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐀 𝐓𝐎𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐒. She opened her eyes and groaned loudly, reaching for her stomach where it felt like she had been cut down the middle and sewn back together again. Her brain was still foggy from the medication the doctor's had given her, but she could only focus on the throbbing pain she felt all over.

"Hey, you're okay," a voice assured her. She looked toward the source and saw her cousin sitting on the edge of her bed, a small reassuring grin on his face. "You were out of it for a while there, Cece," he chuckled, and she frowned. She had little recollection of anything that had happened while she was under, and if she said something stupid, she would rather no one tell her. She'd rather save herself the mortification.

"Where's Seb?"

"Probably bullying one of the nurses," Nathan replied dryly. He ran a hand through his hair and glanced over at her. "They got you pretty good, huh?" She shivered, recalling the feeling of the knife as it was plunged into her stomach repeatedly with no mercy. She rested a hand over her abdomen and tried to push the memory out of her head. "I thought I was going to die," she admitted. Celia tried not to let any emotion slip out in her words, but it was difficult. She sniffled and wiped her eye, just in time to see Nate smiling at her.

"I knew you wouldn't," he responded confidently. "You've got a whole lot of fight in you for someone so tiny." She appreciated Nathan's efforts to make her feel better, knowing that out of all of her family members, he was always the one who never treated her like a child. Celia loved her brother, she did, but he treated her like she was made of glass at every inconvenience. She didn't need that. When in doubt, Celia could always rely on Nate. He was the one who would sit in silence if she asked, no matter how much it would kill him to stay quiet. He was also her best friend. "The doctor's thought they lost you for a minute back there," he admitted. "But you pulled through like I knew you would."

"How long have I been out for?"

"You don't remember anything?" He raised his eyebrows like the thought amused him. Celia shook her head. "I mean, I remember what happened up until the ambulance. Everything after that is a bit foggy. I had this dream, and I remember some people coming to visit but that's it."

"You were very... entertaining," he told her, and she winced. He was grinning like an idiot, which only meant that Celia had made a complete fool of herself. "You were talking out of your ass, but your beau didn't seem to mind too much." Nathan shook his head and covered his mouth to stifle a laugh, and if Celia could move her body, she'd hit him right now. "You were telling everyone that he was holding everything inside so it doesn't fall out. Then you were told everyone that you wanted to kiss him, among other things"

"I didn't," she gasped in horror, pinching her eyes shut to try and erase Nate's words from her mind. "Oh, you did," he assured her. "I was smart enough to try and keep you quiet after that, before you humiliated yourself even more." She had never been more thankful for Nathan than she had in that moment. Celia wanted to keep some of her dignity intact, and she also wanted to be able to leave this hospital room able to look Spencer in the eye again. "I think if I let you keep talking, you would have told him you wanted to have his babies."

"Stop," Celia mumbled, lifting her hands up to cover her eyes and dig the heels of her hands into her face. Had she really said that? Now that Nathan was telling her, she could vaguely remember having visitors, but she didn't remember much of their conversation. "How did he react? Actually, no, don't tell me that."

"Cece, I don't think he cared," Nathan tried his best to assure her, but it didn't do anything to help the humiliation she felt. In a moment of weakness, she had told Spencer that she had feelings for him, in front of her brother and her cousin. Kill me now. "I mean it. Don't get all embarrassed about it."