𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐑 𝐑𝐄𝐈𝐃 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄 𝐈𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐍 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐒. With an eidetic memory, Spencer could retain information in a way that most people could not. Although he considered himself a genius of the highest intelligence, there was something about the girl in front of him that stumped Spencer. Celia Clairmont was a girl who had done the impossible: she had made Spencer question himself. In theory, Spencer understood the biological and neurological mechanisms behind the feelings of love, but he had never quite understood what love felt like in practice until now. He knew enough about the brain to know that the experience of love was caused by certain neurotransmitters that release hormones such as dopamine, oxytocin, and serotonin in the brain. 

Since the day that Spencer had met Celia, he had begun to question said beliefs about love. He no longer cared what the science suggested, because he couldn't possibly fathom the fact that these feelings he was experiencing were merely a result of a chemical reaction in his brain. To Spencer, it felt so much more significant than that. So, as of late, Spencer had begun formulating his own hypothesis regarding feelings of love, and it was as follows: 

The current scientific understanding of the neural and chemical processes involved in the experience of love make it reasonable to hypothesize that love is at the very least, partially rooted in the brains physiological processes. However, Spencer would argue that the subjective experience of love was a complex and multifaceted phenomenon that involved a range of cognitive, emotional, and social factors that could not be completely explained by neuroscience alone.

In other words: Spencer believed it to be possible that the feeling of love may be stronger and more meaningful than its underlying chemical and neural processes. 

He could not back up his claims with any evidence other than Celia Clairmont herself. But he didn't need evidence to demonstrate that his hypothesis was correct, because he simply knew that it was. Celia was the catalyst that set in motion a chain of events that confirmed his belief. He was confident that further investigation would only strengthen his convictions. In the years he spent studying the neuroscience of love, he had never once wavered in his belief that love was more than a chemical reaction. Until now. He no longer believed that love was a fundamental human experience that transcended into scientific explanation, and having Celia in his life was proof of that.

"What could you possibly be thinking about so early in the morning?" Celia cracked an eye open, and it took a moment for Spencer to realize that he had been staring at her. He had woken up approximately twenty minutes ago, and had spent his time since then thinking, and he had also subconsciously counted how many breaths Celia had taken whilst she was asleep (three hundred and twenty-one, Spencer had recalled). "Nothing of importance," Spencer assured her with a coy smile. Celia didn't look convinced, and the rubbed her eyes before admitting, "I'm having a hard time believing that." In the morning, Spencer thought that the girl before him looked like an angel who had been bathed in sunlight. Even after everything that had happened to her, Celia still managed to have this light around her, an aura of radiance all the time. 

Celia sat up right and adjusted her hair, fixing the bedsheet that was covering her chest. She glanced over at Spencer with a knowing smirk,. "Is it the post-sex clarity?" She asked him. Spencer's cheeks flushed as he blabbed out, "Well, I'd say it's rather late for that, since 'post-sex clarity' is a phenomenon that occurs almost immediately after coitus. Since it's been approximately eight hours, twenty-six minutes, and thirteen seconds since we last had intercourse, it's highly improbable."  She buried her face in her hands, and her shoulders shook as she let out a quiet laugh, and the only thing that Spencer was thinking was how he wanted to bottle it up and keep it for a rainy day. "Are you laughing at me, Celia Clairmont?"