Part Thirty-One

"There's an important occasion coming up this weekend, but I want you to go on my behalf. I believe, it's time you learn." The old man said.

Nanon looked at him in the eye, nodding to his voice that sounded so serious and determined at the same time. "I've been wanting to ask you, Grandpa. Why'd you choose me? It's obvious that the whole family are so against it."

He raised his brow at him. "Am I wrong?"

"No, I didn't mean that at all. I just thought someone else might be more deserving than me. Like, Uncle?" He suggested.

"Let me tell you something, Nanon." He said while squeezing his shoulder in a firm way. "This isn't about who is more deserving or who is more eligible to lead this family. It's about the sense of responsibility. You're more connected to people than you think you are. If I am wrong, why would I even consider risking you?"

"Grandpa I—"

"Appointing you was the wisest decision I've ever made. Don't prove me wrong."

Nanon had this look to him, though. Something that made him slightly uneasy and scared of how much the old man really put his expectations on him. He's so persistent despite his old age. And those words kept ringing in his ear for over a day, and nothing made him even more nervous than to think about what the old man said to him.

He kept wandering back and forth in the foyer of the mansion— bitting off the dry skin on his bottom lip nervously until Frank entered the room after a gentle knock on the door.

"What now?" He sighed and rolled his eyes as soon he saw him approaching with a pad tablet in his hand.

Although that has always been his job as his manager, at some point in his life, it starts to grow a little tiresome, especially when he is completely immersed in it.

Frank walked up to him and then showed him an invitation form that required his signature in it. "Sign here to confirm your attendance." He said while offering a stylus pen as Nanon started reading everything written on the screen carefully and then found out it was the event his grandfather had talked to him about earlier. 

He seized the pen from him and signed it without giving it any thought. "This should  mean I'm attending, right?" He muttered.

Frank gave him a quick nod and was about to add something when the sound of footsteps heading their way immediately cut him off. They both glanced at the person entering, which turned out to be the Chairman and General Wajorn.

What a rare sight indeed.

Though he may eventually drown in his own insatiable curiosity at this rate, since there are so many things he still failed to caught up on and he simply doesn't have enough care anymore— he doesn't even begin to ask, how on earth do these people even know each other in the first place.

"Grandpa?" He said as he watched them sauntered in and sat by the chaise longue. 

"I have to apologize since my presence here might be too abrupt. But it has been our responsibility to escort your grandson considering now he will rise as the new heir. Danger might come in his way, and my skilled soldiers will protect him from it." 

"I understand your concern, General Wajorn. I've been thinking of increasing more security in this place as well." The old man said.

"Then consider it our pleasure to protect Mr. Nanon from harm." The general added with utter confidence.

Nanon has never been more puzzled than he did right in that moment. But he just didn't have words to say since everything in his life has already been narrated out for him. But he'd still see that mistrusting and suspicious glint in his eyes as he stared at the man speaking.