Part Thirty-Six

~Tong's Bar~

"Been a while man! Want something to drink?" The bartender asked the second he saw the fierce guy came into view and walked towards him in the main slab.

"Thanks, Tong." He stated and rested his hip on the tall stool. He doesn't even need to voice out the phrase 'the usual' since Tong knows exactly what he's going to ask for a drink.

"You're back? You literally are so good at making people forgets all about you." Someone suddenly nudged him from the back, and he spun around just as quickly in response only to see the woman he left dumbfoundedly at the hospital several months ago.

"Ink?" Ohm was somewhat surprised himself to find her under the same roof of a bar he seldomly goes and then remembered how small the town really is. In fact, he went there to get a soda instead of beer since he can't handle alcohol that well.

"Where have you been all this time? You didn't even leave a reply to any of my messages." She frowned at him.

"You shouldn't expect a solid reply from a dutiful soldier like him. You might get your heart broken." Tong came back a moment later with a glass of soda just like what the fierce guy had asked.

Ink wasn't meaning to judge the man, but watching him taking a sip of that drink really made her bewildered for some reason. "A soda? Who asks for soda in a bar?"

"Don't even ask." Ohm sternly added.

"I'll leave you two be for now. Tons of customers to serve. Excuse me." Tong awkwardly said after sensing the tense gradually building up between them and tossed the rag at the other new bartender who seemingly still confused about doing his job yet.

"Can I sit?" Ink then asked and proceed to take a seat right next to him anyway. "You're really hard to talk to."

"What are you doing here?" He immediately asked and scantled around just to see if she came alone.

"What do you think I'm here for? To get a beer and not a soda." She teased and asked the bartender for a glass of light beer.

"Sorry." The man heaved and looked back upfront.

Ink blew out a sigh and eventually giggled. In fact, she knows exactly what he was apologizing for. "Look, Ohm. I know you and I, we, don't have that kind of chemistry towards each other. It's been like this," she halted before continuing, "since middle high."

Ohm swung his gaze at her and suddenly recalled that nostalgic memory he once had in middle school but quite dubious whether Ink somehow were part of it. He probably forgot things that were insignificant to him because he strikes his head often while fighting.

He used to be someone who mastered every single sports and for that reason, he was admired and worshipped by a lot of girls. Along with having attractive features, he draws almost everyone's attention when he walks down the hallway. He made it almost impossible to take their eyes off him.

However, intense middle school romance was never even his thing. There were a lot of love letters left unread, rejections, and friendzones. Ink was somewhere in that zone.

Ink was the only girl he'd barely talked to. And it was a lot of effort, but sadly, she couldn't get herself out of the 'just a friend' phase. She has the right to be upset, especially when Ohm claims not to remember any small details about her when it's been years ago.

"Oh." Ohm nodded awkwardly. "I didn't actually take it that way, I'm sorry—"

"Don't worry. I kind of moved on." She said so proudly after a sip of her beer that burnt her throat. It felt kind of nice. "Honestly, I'm just trying to be your friend now. I did try to win your heart desperately. Actually remembering about that, really embarrassing for me. But I guess being a good friend doesn't sound so bad, isn't it?"