21

Title: (L/N) Ochards (pt 1/2)
(Yaayyy we're back on ppl :) also context: Readers dad came from a commercial farmer family, they got big bucks I mean like apples sold bulk @ Costco, Walmart all that - he gave it up to be w/ Readers hippie mother this 2-shot fic will detail both how their parents met and their strained relationship w/ the (L/N) and comparison of Readers mom + Wally)

When (Y/N) had asked Wally if he'd like to go apple picking at her families orchard, let's just say he didn't hesitate to start packing his day bag and essentials. She had to stop him and remind him it wouldn't be for another week, he was literally vibrating from the excitement anytime she would get close to her front door. She had been invited to a little dinner party celebrating her cousins wedding, and her grandmother had passed that message to her. She was allowed a plus one, and obviously her partner would be her first option.
She had to try and slow him down a bit, they wouldn't leave until the following weekend. Wally was impatient, for awhile that's all he had talked about! He asked (Y/N) about the orchard, how many trees, did they have different types of apples, did her fathers family only grow apples or did they actually produce anything like ciders or sauces. Whenever they went out to the library, he would spend hours researching more so when they got there he could bombard them with questions.
Every breakfast he'd ask her about her family, she felt flattered a bit he was so invested. Her father did come from some wealth but grown from small farmers who built their business from dinky stales to supermarkets. Wally had seen her fancier sets of jewelry and clothes handed down from her paternal grandmothers, he didn't really pry too much into their personal relationship since she grew silent as to why her father left.

The morning of their road-trip, while packing the car, (Y/N) began to feel irked. It wasn't anything bad, just that (Y/N) was a bit upset she had packed everything they needed while he sat in the car ready to go. She understood his excitement, his enthusiasm may have put everything else in the back burner, but she felt frustrated. Gently placing his canvases and paints on top of their luggage's in the back of her van, she saw him rocking back and forth in his seat as he went over a mental checklist.

Eye cover, pillows, blanket, snacks.

The car ride was silent besides her music, Wally had felt bad but couldn't quite put his own finger on it. Did he forget something? It puzzled him as she drove with such a straight face, he began to lose himself in his thoughts. The train of ideas and possibilities flying past, had she started to hate him?

"(Y/N)?" He asked, his voice slightly hoarse from the previous 3-hours in complete silence - they hadn't talked since breakfast before they had left. He asked her how long the trip would be and what she suggested to pack for easy access. He even dedicated extra time to check it on the list in his head!
She let out a hum, the response made his stomach sink. Guilt crept it's way up his neck, he felt anxious he didn't know why she was so upset.
"Did I do something?" Tears prickled his eyes, to her she gave a short glance and it was a flash of puppy dog eyes.
This was out of no where!
"Wally, you didn't do anything!"
"Then why are you ignoring me? Are you going to do it all the way there?"
Looking back and forth between the road and Wally she felt a mix of emotions, he couldn't have known she was upset and he was so excited to even go with her! She was letting him into her personal life. She wanted to give him all her attention at that moment, stop the car and console him.

"Listen, my darling babe, 'ts nothing! I just felt frustrated earlier - now I've cooled off!" Taking a second to look at him in the eyes she offered a small smile, "Nothing you do could ever keep me angry. You were so excited, I admit that while driving I've been on auto pilot... thinking of what I'll say to the side of my family I haven't talked to in years!" He wiped his face with his blanket, (Y/N) blushed at the bit she was about to say.

"Honestly, it's cute when you get so worked up and ready to go! It made me happy that you were happy to see the part of my family that I'm uncomfortable with."
Leaning back in her seat she slouched, keeping her eyes on the road she saw a sign (L/N) ORCHARDS, the both of them had cleared the air and began to relax. She still felt a big knot in her stomach, her grip tightened on her fuzzy wheel as Wally began to hum to himself. He had pulled out a little pocket mirror and was giving himself a once over, he was meeting her family after all!

When they arrived, the sun was setting as she pulled up into a long driveway. While the windows were down they could hear music and chatter, it became louder when she turned her engine off and her music was cut off. Soft pop music replaced her funk, stepping out a butler came out to greet them - he has assured them both their things would be taken to her fathers old room and they could go into the back where her family was. Wally was amazed at the interior of their home, it was a modern rustic style with a few animal heads staring into his soul. He thought he was the odd one, apple farmers taking apart of hunting and taxidermy - he figured they'd be somewhat like (Y/N).
A loud drawn out "oh!" ripped their attention as they walked out to the back deck, "My dear baby!"
An older woman, clad in long sheets paired with gloves and about five rings for each individual finger, ran up to (Y/N). For an older woman she seemed rather spry, her features had minimal wrinkles but the ones that were prominent when she smiled so big at his significant other.
"Nana," (Y/N) took her hand and brought it up to her forehead, she had to bend down slightly due to their height difference - it wasn't drastic but even with the older woman in heels it was needed.
Her Nana pulled her hand away, looking around at the guests she hushed her voice, "Grandma." She corrected, her voice harsh and hush, "Refrain from doing that here my dear, your father alone was weird enough insisting on that woman teaching you that." It sounded like a scolding, it was such a 180 that Wally felt like he got whiplashed.

(Y/N) apologized and kept her eyes focused on the grass beneath them, she left them alone as Wally placed a warm hand on their lower back, (Y/N) cleared her throat, "I'd get the idea that we're humble apple farmers out your head while we're here." With a quick kiss she walked off to a group calling her, a hand quickly finding Wally's as she put on a mask. He felt uncomfortable as the conversations were bland, most sugar coating their success and ending it with "your father could've had that" - what he felt must've been the exact feeling she told him.