Two World's Apart

"Finally! All the bushes have been decorated. I deserve a pat on the back for this. It all looks so beautiful," Mayu exclaimed, her voice filled with satisfaction. She carefully placed Akio's letter on top of the bushes, ensuring it was prominently displayed. "I wonder if anyone's going to come around this time to check them," she mused, a bright smile spreading across her face. The last set of green bushes had been decorated, and Mayu felt a sense of accomplishment wash over her. "I've finally earned the right to have a long, sweet rest."

Mayu gracefully lowered herself onto the lush green grass, closing her eyes to savor the momentary tranquility. The euphoric setting enveloped her, and for a blissful moment, she reveled in the beauty she had created.

But her serene repose was interrupted by an unusual sound—a strange buzzing noise that emanated from nearby, where she was resting. It was a noise she had never heard before, one that piqued her curiosity. Mayu rose to her feet, her gaze fixated on the source of the sound. "Where's that coming from?" she wondered aloud, her voice filled with intrigue.

Intrigued and compelled to investigate, Mayu slowly jogged toward the origin of the buzzing noise, her eyes scanning the surroundings. As she approached, she noticed a distant orb of light, its brilliance causing her eyes to squint with each step forward. Mayu was certain that this strange orb of light was did not belong in her world. Contemplating whether to explore further or leave it be, she found herself drawn closer to the radiant light.

"It's so beautiful," she murmured softly, her voice filled with wonder. The sight seemed to beckon her, tempting her to reach out and touch it. But a sudden realization jolted her back to reality. "No," Mayu said firmly, regaining her composure. "I shouldn't mess with something like this. It could be dangerous." She took a step back, still facing the mesmerizing light. She knew all too well that beauty could sometimes conceal danger, like a flower with poisonous thorns.

"But what if it's something important?" the nagging curiosity persisted within her.

Unable to resist the allure any longer, Mayu made up her mind. The curiosity won. She scanned her surroundings, searching for an object to test the mysterious light. A stick caught her eye, conveniently placed nearby. Mayu picked it up, her hands steady and composed, and approached the luminous strange light cautiously. With a sense of childlike excitement, she extended the stick toward the brimming light.

The moment of truth arrived. "Woah!" Mayu gasped in amazement as the stick was swiftly slurped into the light's core with tremendous force, almost pulling her in along with it. "That was amazing!" she exclaimed, a wide smile spreading across her face.

Eager to continue the experiment, Mayu gathered various objects from her surroundings—sticks, flower petals, grasses, and rocks—and tossed them one by one into the radiant light. Each item was devoured by the bright light, disappearing into its depths like a tiny black hole.

"Phew," Mayu sighed contentedly, her exhaustion apparent. Every object she had thrown had been consumed by the strange orb, and she was convinced that whatever it was, it posed no harm to her. But now it was time for the ultimate test. Mayu took a deep breath, her heart pounding with anticipation, and extended her hand toward the mysterious light. As her fingertips made contact, she felt a peculiar sensation—a brief, electrifying moment that sent a shiver down her spine.

"Huh?!" Mayu's surprise was palpable as the strange light vanished the instant her hand touched it. She withdrew her hand in confusion, scanning the area for any trace of the light's presence again, but it was nowhere to be found. "Now, that was weird. Where'd it go?" Mayu wondered aloud, her voice tinged with a mix of curiosity and frustration.

Moments passed and the light was nowhere to be found again. But just as Mayu was about to give up her search, the familiar buzzing sound resurfaced, but this time, it seemed to be coming from the places of the bushes she had decorated. Without a moment's hesitation, Mayu sprinted toward the sound, her determination overpowering any doubts or fears. As she neared the bushes, she spotted the strange light hovering just above the bushes. "There you are!" she exclaimed, relief washing over her.