Chapter 5: WE ARE GOING ON A TRIP IN OUR FAVORITE PIECE OF [EXPLETIVE]!(Katie)

A/N: Yes, I'm aware that the school district admins can see this. Nobody's talked to me about it yet, so it's probably fine. Probably. I used to watch Little Einsteins when I was a tiny kid.

"FU—"

Katie ran back to the room, startled.

"682?!"

Dang. She swore, if she had to deal with that lizard...

She would die. Yeah, that's what she'd do.

It didn't seem like a good time to enter the room, so she decided to wait outside the door quietly and listen. She ran her fingers through the cracks of the white wooden door. The walls of her house were kind of thin and not very soundproof, which made eavesdropping very easy to do, according to Natalie.

One of her sister's favorite hobbies besides fashion design and talking to people was to listen in on conversations that she was never meant to hear. That's how she found out about periods at age 4, when she listened to her mom talk about it.

"God, I needa call them," Abner said to nobody in particular. "I mean, they have to be joking, right? Just some elaborate prank set up by Alto? Yeah, that's it. Katie heard the noise of a cell phone being dialed and then ringing.

"Hello? Is this Dr. Erik Abner?" went a woman's voice.

"Oh, hi Sophia! Uh...what exactly did Tilda say about 682? It totally didn't escape into the reality I'm in, right?" He gave a nervous chuckle.

Katie could imagine Light's light brown hair and serious but also kind expression.. At least, that's what she thought Light might've looked like. Given the no-true-canon nature of the wiki, it was hard to say. She fidgeted with her own hair, straight and black. It was her nervous habit. She had a right to be nervous, given that she might meet that lizard.

"It's...very unfortunate for you. But there are more pressing matters at hand. For one, we've detected a possible new anomaly in your layer of narrative reality, in Washington, D.C. We're going to need you to investigate."

Huh.

"Your task is simple. You must drive from Lincoln, Nebraska to the district by car, with at least one other person with you at all times. No exceptions. Then, you will enter a separate pocket dimension, currently known as 'Wharsington, District of Columbus.' You can exit at any time you choose."

"Drive to D.C?! Soph, are you insane? I don't have my passport, so I can't fly to Nebraska. I don't even know if I'm actually in the States, it could just be the girl recently moved here, but I can tell I'm not there! Or anywhere near it, for that matter! I felt the weather, and heard the accents of those kids! Not Nebraskans!" he insisted. Which, to be fair, they really weren't from there.

"I'm sorry, but...It's the only way, Erik."

"Fine."

He hung up and walked out the door. "Oh, Katie, didn't see you there."

"Drive all the way to D.C? From Nebraska?" she said.

"Yeah, I know."

"Hey, at least it's summer vacation for us. Otherwise I wouldn't even be here at all, 'cuz I live in a dorm. I'll go tell Natalie I guess."

"Great. Start packing your stuff. By the way, where do you live? Gah. Sorry, came off all stalker-like. I mean, where are we right now? Where is your house located?"

Katie's face fell. "Southern California."

"Well fu—"

A/N: Sorry, it's kinda short. See, I told you it was going to become a road trip story eventually! It only took five short chapters! (Seriously though, my chapters are kinda short.)

Mentions in this chapter: Dr. Light's Personnel File