chapter six

The reaping is today. Peacekeepers are knocking at our doors, waiting to escort us and take us to the big square in the middle of district two, where the reapings usually take place. I walk out of the door, behind me Cato. I look over to my right to see a lot of other victors walking along us. I meet Enobaria's eyes and she gives me a worried look. I know she doesn't want to go in there anymore. That's why she lets Brutus, Cato and me train the new tributes. Neither does my aunt. She looks terrified, as I meet her eyes. I know that if my name gets chosen, then there won't be a volunteeer.

We walk down the small way between the other people of the district up towards the stage, where we all take place in a line. The females on Alora's left and the males on her right.
They show that stupid movie again, as I search for my brother in the crowd. He's standing infront of me with Cole on his side. Both of them a painful look on their faces.
Alora starts speaking again but I keep my eyes looking forward. I try not to cry, to not show them my emotions. I don't want them to see me weak.

I hear Alora walking over to the glass with our names in it. She takes out a small piece of paper and walks up to the microphone again. 

"The female tribute for the 74th annual Hunger Games is, Athena Aquene" she says breathing out heavily.

I feel my heart shatter into pieces. I am going to die. I won't survive another one. I know that this kind of luck does not belong to me. I don't even wait for the other two to volunteer for me. I know they won't. I wouldn't either. 
I step forward, now next to Alora, as a tear slips down my face. 

"And for the male tribute for the 75th annual Hunger Games, Brutus-" she starts but doesn't get to finish.

"I volunteer as a tribute" I hear someone yell. My body tenses. I know exactly who that voice belongs to. 

"Cato, don't" I say but he doesn't listen.
"I volunteer as a tribute" he says again, stepping forward.
I feel my heart shatter even more. I know he did it for me. He shouldn't have but he did. My heart legs almost give up under me, but Cato catches me in a hug. He hugs me tightly and places a gentle kiss on my temple. 
"We can do this" he says in a soft voice. He then takes one hand of mine and raises our hands into the sky. Everyone starts applauding for us before we get taken away. We don't even get to say goodbye. 

...

"This is all Katniss' fault" I say angrily.
"It is" Cato says, gently stroking my back. We're lying on our bed in the train, me on the belly and him leaning on his elbows. 
"I'm going to kill her" I say, and he stops his motions.
"I'm serious Cato. I'm going to kill her" I say, and turn around.
"I've never heard you say something like that" he says stunned.
"I know. I usually don't say this type of stuff but she deserves it. First she throws you down the cornucopia to be eaten by these mutts and now we have to go in there again just because she couldn't follow the rules? This isn't fair" I say.
"No it isn't, but please promise me something" he says.
"What?"
"Never change. No matter if we're in the arena or not. Just please stay this caring loving version of yours" he says.
"If that's all you want" I say.
"That's all I need" he says, and I hug him tightly.
I feel that he's on the verge of loosing himself. He doesn't deserve this. That's why I won't tell him about the pregnancy. It will ony make him freak out more and he can't take that now. I still haven't told him about the Dolion drama too. I will tell him after the parade. Maybe he's a little more steady then.

...

Velvette doesn't say anything as she styles me. I'm wearing a golden dress with a crown on my head. She said she wanted me to look like a godess but I could care less. I said thank you and left the room. I can't bear lying to Velvette. She's like my best friend now. I push the elevator button, as it starts to go down. The doors open, revealing a lot of people and some horses. 
"Athena" I hear Finnick's voice say.
"Finnick" I say and hug him tightly. 
"How are you?" he asks me.
"Fine" I say, and he rises his eyebrows clearly not believing me.
"Could be better" I say.
"Why?" he asks.
"You don't want to know, believe me" I say.
"You can tell me anything. You know that, right?" he asks, taking both of my hands with his.
"I know it's just a lot to handle and I don't want you freaking out here" I say.
"What? Are you pregnant?" he jokes but his smile slowly drops as he realizes he's right. His eyes widen again, as his mouth drops open.
"Finnick. Don't be so suspicious" I tell him, and slap his shoulder.
"You need to tell me about it later, okay?" he says, clearly still shocked.
"I will," I say, before I hear my name getting called out. It's Cato waiting for me at our chariot. I give Finnick a warning look. "Do not tell anyone" 
I jog over to Cato, who's wearing a similar gold outfit as mine. He's wearing a golden suit, with a crown on his head. 
"Is everything okay?" he asks me looking at Finnick and then back at me.
"Yeah, just Finnick" I say, and he looks at me weirdly. That's when we hear the announcement to get onto the chariots. He takes my hand and helps me up, before getting up himself. He grabs my hand tighly, as the chariot starts rolling.