Chapter 8: Fight off

After Kindle drove home while Josh was asleep in the front passenger seat. She smiled since she started to like him and how cute he is while sleeping. She even felt sympathy and guilt in her heart of what he endured before she meant him.

   She parked into the garage and carried Josh inside. She sees Cathy texting on her phone while Miranda practices on her guitar.

"How did it go?" Cathy asked.

  "Well. He will need some rest since the meds made him drowsy. I want you girls to stay quiet. So Miranda I'm afraid you need to practice on your music some other time." Kindle explains as she lays Josh on his bed.

"But I need to practice. I have a gig with my band in a week." Miranda explains.

"You have plenty of time. Josh just needs some quiet time while he rests. Come on, I do need help getting dinner started." Kindle says as she heads to the kitchen while Cathy and Miranda follow her there.

   During the evening, Josh was having one of his flashback dreams before humanity went extinct by the nuclear explosions.

"Hurry! Get in the cryo chamber!" A female human shouted as she pushed young Josh into it."

  He then woke up fast from his dream and took a few deep breaths. His memories of his past were still fuzzy for him to remember. He lays back down and falls back to sleep for the night.

  The next day at school is usual, school assignments, lectures, and lessons. As it was finally time to head to P.E. Josh didn't like it as he knows Coach Kelly is persistent that she wants to know who almost killed him earlier. And what's worse, Nathan and his friends are out of school suspension and give him death stares as they're lined up outside on the track for another running exercise that Coach Kelly planned.

"Okay! I want you all to run 2 miles, which means 8 laps around the track. And if I see any of you walking. You will start over. Everyone on the track!" She explained as everyone went to the starting line.

  Josh sighed since he knows that it's going to be hell for him and he bets that his bullies will make it even more hard for him. As Coach Kelly blew her whistle, everyone started running down the track.

  Unexpectedly Josh was unexpectedly staying with the group for some reason since he doesn't feel tired or sore like he used to be and Coach Kelly was kinda impressed with his improvement.

  As he was running, Nathan purposely pushed him off the track and fell into the grass.

"Good one bro!" Lucas complemented as he started laughing.

  Josh got up and brushed the grass stains off him, and continued running as he caught up with the group. Brandon decided to take a turn on trying to trip Josh, but he missed and Josh tripped him and Brandon fell and felt his snout get scraped on the track.

"You son of bitch!" Nathan shouted as he tried to grab him while chasing him.

   He kept running faster to avoid Nathan and Lucas behind him and he went ahead of the group.

"Get back here!" Lucas shouted as he and Nathan went ahead of the group as well.

  Josh started to have a feeling of rage and tired of running from the individuals that almost killed him, belittled him, and made his life miserable. He stopped running and Nathan and Lucas caught up to him.

  Without hesitation, he gave Lucas a straight punch into the snout that made him fall backwards. Nathan then tried to hit Josh but he dodged fast and gave him a right hook. Nathan stumbled but stood his ground.

  Everyone in the class stopped and watched what was going on. Nathan and Josh threw punches at each other. Nathan gave Josh a painful blow in the stomach. Josh then tackled Nathan and punched him in the snout a few times.

  The other students started cheering and chanting. Josh then grabbed Nathan by the collar of his shirt and gave him a good punch in the left eye. Nathan grunts in pain as he covers his black eye. Lucas and Brandon joined in and tried to beat down Josh for their pal.

  Josh then grabbed Luca's arm and turned it the wrong way that a painful snap was heard.

"AHH! FUCK!" Lucas shouted.

"You motherfucker!" Brandon shouted as he gave Josh a left hook.

Josh stumbled a little but he gave Brandon a real punch in the jaw and some of his teeth came out as he fell on the side. Josh didn't stop as he got on top of Nathan and started ground pounding him mercilessly.

  Nathan's face started to swell up and bleed by Josh's blows until Coach Kelly ran through the crowd and pulled him off Nathan.

"Enough!" She shouted as she tried to restrain him down to calm him down.

   Later after the fight, Josh was sitting outside of the principal's office while Nathan and his friend were getting disciplined for their actions first. They walked out of the office and gave Josh a death stare while passing by.

"You will fucking get it when I get a chance." Nathan says as he passes by.

"Better watch yourself, because we will kill you when we have the chance." Lucas says as he grabs onto his broken arm.

"Josh." Principal Nancy called.

   He walked in and sat down across from her desk and knew she wasn't happy about the situation.

"Don't you know that fighting never solves anything?" She asked.

"It is for self-defense." Josh answers.

"Josh. I know times were rough for you, but the situation is that fighting is a serious offense in the school." She explained.

"Those three were the reason my life is miserable. They almost killed me in an alley before all this." Josh says in anger.

"They did that?" She asked.

"Yes. They almost killed me and I think I deserved a little retribution on them." Josh explains.

"Calm down Josh. Look, I'll make sure they won't bother you again, but you should understand that fighting never solves anything."

"When did you start caring for humans?" He asked.

"When I first heard about you." Nancy spoke.

"Actions speak louder than words." Josh says as he walks out of the office.

   Later during the day, Josh wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone since his past started to get to him as he remembered many anthros mistreated him for no reason and no one cared on time to do the right thing. He was satisfied with getting back at Nathan and his friends, but that won't change anything as the rivalry between them just escalated.

"Josh, Just wondering if you want to talk." Cathy says as she softly knocks on the door.

  He started to feel calm and decided to let her in since he trusts her, Kindle and Miranda. He will never forget them giving him a chance.