Spat or Fued

Ophelia

My mouth fell open as I tried to process it.

What did she just say?

"Wh..what?" Ethan asked Anastasia as I was too shocked to speak.

"Yes, I am filing for divorce. I have already sent him the papers. I just wanted to tell you in person before that your father does. I mean it may not be a big deal for you after all these years but, I had to tell you. You deserved to know," she shrugged.

"But, why now? So, suddenly? When..when did you even plan this?" Ethan frowned.

"Well, it had never occurred to me until recently. But, two days ago, I realised that it is better if we just get rid of it officially. So, I got Sean to draw the papers yesterday and sent them to your father today," she told him.

"Mama, are you..are you sure?" Ethan asked her again.

"Yes, I am. I mean, it is obvious, right? We have been separated for long enough. It is high time we make it legal. What's the point of carrying the weight of a dead relation? No use of it being there on paper when it is doesn't really mean anything." she said and gave him a small smile.

What the fuck is she smiling about?

Ethan looked at her with suspicion.

"How did dad react to it?" Ethan asked her with a deep breath.

"I didn't see him in person. It was just an email from the office. But, I am sure he will be happy about it too. We don't have any other issues like custody or alimony, so it should be easy for him to sign it too," she shrugged.

"You are really sure about this, Mama?" Ethan asked one more time, and I bit my lower lip and clenched my fist.

I could see that he was trying to control himself, and it made me want to reach out and hold him tight. I hope this doesn't break him down.

"I am, Ethan. I am very sure," Anastasia said and nodded confidently.

"Fine, then. I'll support you through it," Ethan lied to her.

She gave him a small smile and then said, "Thank you, gios. I'll take your leave now. I just came to tell you this. I..I am leaving tomorrow night. So, I got to pack."

Ethan nodded and got up, walking to his mother.

He hugged her, and she said, "See you in Dublin next month, Ethan. Get Ophelia with you, too."

"See you in Dublin, Mama," he told her, pulling away.

"I love you, dear. You are the best son I could have asked for," she said and smiled, cuddling his cheek.

"I love you too, Mama. You are the best mother in the whole world," he told her.

"I just try to be good enough," she said and kissed his cheek.

She turned to me and said, "Bye, Ophelia. See you later."

I forced a smile and said, "Bye, Anastasia. Have a safe flight."

She walked to me and gave me a hug.

"Please take care of him for me. Just for today," she whispered to me and pulled away.

I looked at her and nodded.

She smiled and left.

As soon as the door closed, I looked at Ethan, waiting for him to react. But, he just stood in his place calmly.

He pursed his lips for a second and then said, "Do you want to call it an early day today? Just if you don't have work. We can go home and rest."

I have loads of work, but all of it can wait. I don't care. He needs me.