Forgive or Forget

Ethan

"All Marco Romano ever wanted since the day he was born was to gain control over the Italian mafia. He knew that it would never go to him as long as his sister was alive because she was way smarter and more deserved than him. So, he decided to snatch it from her. Hence, when Elenora decided to marry outside the mafia family, Marco tried to manipulate his father against them. But Alfonso Romano was too smart for him. He had observed the man since he was a kid, and he was well aware that Marco was trouble. He thought that the only way to curb his cunningness was to make him believe that he was getting what he wanted. So, he readily agreed to it. He disowned his daughter so that Marco would forget about her and not try to kill her. But, unbeknownst to him, Marco was even more evil. He thought that there was still a chance that his father would give away everything to his twin brother. So, he killed him under the pretext of a mafia war. Alfonso Romano was devastated, but he knew he had to stop his son. So, he subtly shifted all the properties to his daughter's name. Hence, when he died, there was nothing left for Marco to claim, and all he had to do was say that the highest shareholder continued after him," Henry explained.

He took a pause and stared at me, waiting for a reaction.

When I didn't speak, he continued, "Marco Romano was furious to find out the game his father played with him. Obviously, a man who could kill his own brother by shooting him between the eyes at the mere age of twenty-five was not going to sit down and take this silently. So, he decided to snatch everything back from his sister. We went to Ophelia's home, and Marco threatened Elenora to give him back everything. Ophelia wasn't home at that time, and none of her parents were really interested, so they readily agreed to sign it over. But Marco knew that as long as Elenora was alive, the mafias would never accept him as their leader, and so, he planned to kill her."

"The car accident," I gasped.

"She told you about it?" he looked at me in surprise.

"Yeah, she told me when... she had told me about it," I told him.

At least, one thing was true.

"Did she tell you that she was inside the car too?" Henry asked, and my eyes popped out.

"The fuck?!" I yelled and jumped in my seat as my heart started beating faster.

"When the car crashed and toppled, the fuel tank broke, and there was time for just one person to get out. Her parents forced her to get out of the car, and a second after she crossed the road, the car burst into flames. She saw it with her own eyes as her parents burned to death," he told me and my stupid heart wept for her.

'I don't want to say partial things and I won't be able to tell you everything.'

I recalled her words as everything fell into place. She didn't want me to find out about the truth of the marriage.

"On the other hand, seeing Marco's reaction to the will, I knew he would do something crazy. So, I decided not to leave the job. Instead, I used a few contacts and found out more details about him. Details like Vincenzo Romano," he said.

"Vincenzo Romano?" I frowned.

"Vincenzo Romano or Vin is Ophelia's cousin. He is the son of the twin brother. The son that Marco had hidden from everyone for last twenty years," Henry said, and my head spun.

What the freaking hell is this? I feel like I am in some kind of a TV show. Something like the Game of Thrones.

"Marco told Vin that his father hated him and hence had thrown him away for adoption from where he brought him back. So, for twenty years, Vin hated his dad and followed Marco like a pet dog. He wasn't ready to believe me even when I told him the truth. He even threatened to report me to Marco. But, just then, he got the information from his subordinates that Marco had planned to crash Ophelia's car, and so, he finally believed me," Henry told me.