Part 2: Chapter 13

I dismiss Noah as well. He went to protest but I cut him off, "It's fine. Nothing is going to happen to me, I need to talk to Mr. Avery alone."

"If that is your wish, your majesty, I will leave but please call me if you need anything. With your permission can I sent a few guards to shadow you, from a distance of course, not that I doubt your ability!... But more for my peace of mind, I don't want anything to happen to you- he gets quieter as he speaks- I just got...the country just got you back.. we can't loose you again."

I smile softly, "of course Noah, but I have no intention of disapearing again."
_____________________________________________

Noah nods his head, bows and turned around, walking in the direction of the castle. I look back to where Hugo Avery was standing only moments before. I watched as he analyzed the conversation Noah and I had, he was no longer standing, rather he was kneeling on the ground, hands extended in front of him. His hair was in disarray around his face, eyes downcast. Peeking out behind his hair I could still see the fluttering of his eyes as emotions races through them. I sigh once more, so much for an easy day of introductions. Pacing back and forth in an attempt to calm myself I contemplate what to do. On one hand I could have him killed, tell everyone of his crimes or I could tell Noah what happened and let due consequences run their course. I watch the trembling figure of Hugo and I make my decision. I turn to Hugo, get up and follow me." I walk down the hill back toward the castle, we make our way to the gardens Hugo silently trailing behind me. Once the gardens were in sight I changed course to a secluded area of the gardens. This particular area I found by accident while I was looking for the training arena. It's far enough away that the others should not hear us speaking but it is also in the open so if Hugo tries anything he will be seen and found.

I sit on an intricate marble bench and motion for him to take a seat next to me. I turn and face him once he has sat down, I vaguely acknowledge how far away from me he is. He's sitting on the far edge of the bench with maybe an inch of space between him and the edge. Breaking the silence I ask him, "why?".

"I thought you were someone else your majesty."

Oh. He thought I was somone else. Well then, that gives him the right to do what he did. I think to myself sarcastically, if he was anyone else this would be easier.

"Yes that much is apparent." I whisper.
"Do you know why you were invited to the meeting in the first place?"

"No. I was told my presence was requested by his majesty Prince Noah and thought of it nothing further." I see his eyes flicker to left as if he was looking for someone.

"But that not quite true now is it Hugo?" His eyes flicker up to mine in surprise. "You thought you were getting recognized by Noah you thought the meeting would be private and perhaps you would even become a guard. It's sad how close you were to it too. Noah recommended you to be part of my personal guard, to have someone close to my age around, to be a friend even. Your father being head guard let you see how the palace worked, you were here often enough. But he doesn't know yet, I have yet to tell him. I am willing to let this infraction slide for now. I do not want to here of you doing something like this again. Is that understood?"

"Yes your majesty." He intoned back to me.

"You did rather well on the training grounds today, do you practice often?"

"Yes, I practice with my father when he is avaliable but I also practice with some kids in the village, they wish to become guards but they aren't all from high families so its not a possibility. They don't know who I am, I go to the nobility school in the town but they think I got there on a scholarship." 

"I went to that school as well, prior to- I motion with my hand- all this. You can go and do what ever it is you normally do during the day, I believe we have a meeting later today and you should go and get ready for dinner." He understood what I was telling him, he was dismissed. He stood up and bowed before turning and walking away.