chapter three

Zianna and I flip through different catalogs on the newest fashion. The window is open, and slight breezes come by now and then. I've laid my hand on the corner of the page, holding them down as Zianna comments on what she likes or doesn't understand the need to change. 

Garroth comes towards us and stands in front of the table. Zianna shuts the book before he begins to talk. "Mother, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to speak to my wife."

She stands up silently and nods her head. Zianna doesn't linger around us for much longer before she's out of earshot and the room itself. I close the book and eye the dog eared pages carefully. 

"We saw each other an hour ago. Have I done something wrong?"

He looks around us and recognizes that the room is empty. He's quick to seat himself across from me and moves the book. "How did you know Falconclaw's heir's engagement fell through?"

The corner of my lip curves up into a knowing smile. I assumed he would come to me some time soon, but I hadn't expected him to show up only an hour after I met with him. "I already told you. I had gone to tea, and the news was shared. It was my past outing less than a week ago. The news is still fairly recent."

"Any new news regarding engagements?"

"For him? Not at this time. However, I've heard that one of the Phoenix Drop prince's has a possible suitor. Cadenza wrote to me the other day, and I received that letter last night."

His lips curve up into a smile. He reaches for my hands, pressing soft kisses against the back of them. I remain seated, forced to stare up at him. "Perhaps you are the one who should be sitting behind the desk."

I laugh at this, rising from my chair to stand next to him. "It's about time you realized this," I tell him, pressing a kiss against his cheek. "Men forget that women have a brain of their own."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

"You mean you found a way to convince my brother to listen to you?"

I cast a side gaze towards Vylad, rolling my eyes afterwards. "Garroth is open to suggestions from time to time. We may have only been married for a few months, but I understand the correct times to give him my input." 

"You've changed greatly since that ball. You used to be so timid." 

"When men come towards you with the last name of 'Ro'meave,' you tend to be timid," I say. I bite my lip for a moment and stop walking. I look off to the side, hesitant. "Garroth is planning a dinner for next Friday. He's inviting the family of Falconclaw."

"Oh? I assume this is for Kandilyn?"

If it wasn't for me, Vylad wouldn't know Garroth's newest plans for Kandi. Garroth wouldn't even have plans for Kandi if it wasn't for me. But in the end, I feel as though Kandi may be upset with me because I helped with her marriage plan. She doesn't know of Garroth's intent. She isn't aware of the letter Garroth is currently sending off in urgency. 

"Garroth wants to make sure this wouldn't fall through. If the King responds in a way that Garroth would like, he wants a dinner to go over further details. If it's a poor response, I'm not sure what is going to happen," I admit. "I tried to steer Garroth away from Garte's suggestions of suitors."

"I'm assuming my sister isn't aware of any of this?"

I don't respond to this. I believe the silence answers for me. Frankly, when I first started talking to Garroth about this, I didn't think about how Kandi would find out. I assumed it was something Garroth would be doing. Not to mention, it's something that's inevitable. Kandi knows it's happening sometime in the future, but there's a large mysterious fog clouding the entire situation. 

"She's not blind. I got married when I was nearing nineteen. It's only been a few months. I'm sure she's questioning when her marriage date will be."

"I hope you're right, but you know my sister."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Zianna's eye is watchful with every move of a measuring tape. I stand like a statue, watching her circle me like a hawk. I'm afraid I'll be stabbed with a needle if I move too suddenly. 

Little mumbles are spoken in between measurements and conversation with her. There's two people helping me with my fitting, and Zianna insists she stands by for supervision. 

"Has her measurements increased?" 

It doesn't take a question from my end to understand that she's asking a question regarding pregnancy. I feel the tape measure around my waist, snuggly fit. 

"No, Ma'am. They remain the same as they had when her wedding dress was prepared."

It comforts me to be aware that I've remained the same as pre-marriage. Though, looking towards Zianna, I can tell she's becoming impatient. 

"Are you sure that's correct?"

The tape measure releases from around me. I raise my hand to prevent them from moving any further. "Garroth and I haven't spoken about children yet. He's far too busy to even come to his bed at a decent hour of the night. If something were ought to happen, I'd already be asleep."

She frowns at this. This wasn't the news she wanted, but it was the news she needed. She turns to the ladies tweeking my dress, instructing that that is enough for the day.

I'm stripped rather quickly and sitting in a dressing gown in front of Zianna. 

"I suppose I am simply too impatient. You and my son have been married for months now, and there is no news of a child. When Garte and I first wed, I was pregnant within the first three months."

I take her hand into mine. "When it happens, you and Garroth will be the first to know," I say. "But, what about the other three? Kandi is looking for a suitor. It's only a matter of time until all your children become married."

"You share news a mother never wishes to come to."