chapter nineteen

Snow fell heavily, and cold snuck in whenever it had the opportunity to. A doctor was sent to me to check how far along I was in my pregnancy, and we learned I was in my second month. I questioned myself how I didn't notice I was pregnant for a month before I began to get sick. Zianna told me it's fairly easy to be unaware, but I felt foolish nonetheless.

Now, it's early April and the winter's snow is melting away. The grass is mushy with mud, and small bits of life are rising. The temperatures are much more favorable now, and the air is fresh and clean. I've taken to promenading more often in the garden.

I'm currently staring out the window at the garden being worked on. I've already begun to show with my pregnancy, and Garroth is excited to see how my body changes. My wardrobe is changing slowly, and it's strange when something I had worn before begins to feel tight.

"Have you seen my brother?"

Zane spooks me with his sudden appearance. He keeps a bit of distance between us, standing a few feet away. Despite knowing each other for a few years, Zane and I have not developed a close relationship like I have with the twins.

"He went to Falconclaw for the day. He and Aaron are speaking of business matters. Is there anything I can help you with?"

He seems hesitant to reach out to me, or to pursue any further on the topic. After a moment of silence between the two of us, he opens up. "As you know, I have been courting Lillian. I had spoken to Garroth before regarding the topic of engagement, and he agreed that he thought it was a wise decision, but he wanted me to come to him when I decided it was time."

"I'll tell Garroth when he arrives back that you wish to speak with him." I can't help but smile to myself. It pleases me to know Zane was willing to open up to me regarding this, even if he was hesitant. My forefinger glides against my engagement ring's jewels, causing a sudden thought to come to mind. "Have you found a ring for her?"

He shakes his head. "No, not yet. I have ideas, but I don't know what exactly to pick or how to do it. I would've gone to my mother, but she's overbearing at times."

"I understand. I can help you if you'd like. I've become very familiar with our jewels."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Zane had ideas on what he wished for the ring to look like. The idea was proposed that he may design a ring if he pleased, but he wanted to look at the rings before resorting to that. The two of us looked through a great many. Gold, silver, emerald, pearl. We looked through endless rings until the point everything glittered in my eyes.

Zane decided on a gold banded pearl and diamond ring. It was simple, but he liked the idea of simplicity rather than extravagance. The first time he saw the ring, he paused for a moment before walking off to another one. His eyes would wander back towards it, and they would linger. Zane decided that was the ring he wanted, and I made sure it was taken out for the time being for Zane.

"I didn't choose one of your favorites, did I?"

The two of us are leaving the jewel room, and this question causes me to think. Frankly, I don't believe I was aware that the ring existed. There are so many jewels that I haven't memorized every piece.

"Oh, no. No need to worry about that," I say. "My favorite rings are the ones I wear every day. The ones your brother gave to me long ago."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

I was quick to request an audience with Garroth when he returned. It wasn't a long journey, so he wasn't very tired. However, it was growing late, so he was about done with the day with anything business related. I felt the need to tell him what happened with Zane and I today, and I could tell he was as happy as I was when Zane accepted my help. Though, he was definitely far happier that his brother was serious about this relationship.

"They're holding onto the ring for now. They're cleaning it as we speak."

I'm standing in Garroth's study while he cleans up his desk for the day. He had to take care of what happened in Falconclaw, so he's making sure his desk is cleaned up and ready for him in the morning.

"I'm surprised my brother actually came to you regarding that," he says, glancing up at me and placing a stack of papers to his left. "He's secretive regarding personal matters. I learned through you that he was courting her."

"I was thinking. I don't know Lillian very well. Why don't I invite her for tea?"

Garroth stops and looks up at me. He's told me once before that she is a snob, but he was willing to overlook that for his brother. I know little to nothing about her to this day, so I may as well become better acquainted with her.

"I suppose so. If you feel it's necessary. But do not be surprised if she is a snob." When his desk is to his liking, he walks over to me and places his hands on my stomach. "How are you doing? The baby?"

"We're alright."