chapter seven

I sent a lady of mine off regarding a change in afternoon tea. The Lycans will only be here for a short amount of time before they go back to Falconclaw. And while their kingdom isn't far from our own, it's my duty as a ruler to ensure every second they are here is nothing but a sense of welcome. 

Afternoon tea will only consist of myself, Zianna, Kandi, and Rachel. Otherwise, there will be no other attendees. I feel as though this allows for Kandi and Rachel to get to know each other on a different basis that isn't only dinner. 

Though, I am beginning to regret this decision as it isn't focused only on Kandi and instead on ridiculing me. 

"Kandilyn will make the finest mother. She's so caring towards the children of our kingdom. Her volunteer work is wonderful." 

Zianna has been boasting Kandi up to no end. This is clearly to impress Rachel. I have done what I could, but I've only known Kandi for a year. Maybe things I know is what she doesn't wish to tell Zianna. 

"It's always promising to hear that my son's future wife would be a wonderful mother. I can see where she would get that trait from, Zianna. You have always been the best example of a mother." Rachel and Zianna share a history together. "Though, I'm intrigued by our young royal. How was your childhood with your mother?"

"My mother died when I was only a baby," I state, giving off a bittersweet smile. It doesn't pain me at this age that I don't have a mother. Though, it was upsetting growing up. "I've only ever known my father."

Rachel frowns at this and plays with a napkin. "I forgot Meteli only had one ruler."

"My father did fine on his own."

I can handle this conversation. Meteli is forgettable, so I've learned to overlook it. It was a norm in Meteli that my father was a lone ruler, and he never looked for another wife. And with Laurance taking over soon, it wouldn't matter much if father remarried again anyway. 

It's when they touch on having children of my own that becomes tedious and annoying. I look to Kandi for help, but she avoids my gaze. 

"Garroth and I wanted to be fully capable of our duties and have everything under control before we thought of having children," I state. "With Garroth being so busy with suitor finding, we haven't had time to talk about it."

It's Rachel asking all these questions. Then Zianna adds onto them stating how she's asked these before in the past. 

"It's been a year and a half since your wedding. Don't you believe it's time to begin trying for an heir?" Rachel pushes further into the topic. "You're so young. You should be able to produce an heir with no problem. You're as young as Kandilyn. It's hard to believe you've taken over a role such as this at this age. Do you feel as though you are doing well in this position?"

"Rachel, I do believe poking at her age like this isn't appropriate."

I hold my hand up at Zianna's defense. 

"It's alright. And yes, I believe I am excelling at my duties. Why don't we speak of Aaron and Kandilyn's engagement? There will be a ball soon. How will the engagement be announced?"

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

"Which jewels, Ma'am?"

In Meteli, I didn't have as many options as I have at the moment. My eyes linger over each option before they settle on the new pair Garroth had gifted me some time ago. I haven't had a reason to wear them until now. 

"This pair," I say, resting my hand over the container. "I wish to have this set tonight."

"I'm sure His Majesty would've chosen this set as well."

I give Penelope a curt nod and allow for her to clasp the necklace around my neck. I'm perfectly capable of putting earrings on my body by myself. 

"He gave it to me. I'm sure he'd want me to wear them eventually," I say. 

She steps away from me and allows for me to admire myself in the mirror. I've been keeping an eye on how presentable I look in the public. I've felt an immense amount of pressure lately. 

"Either way, I think you look lovely." 

I offer Penelope a soft smile before walking towards my doors. Garroth would be on the other end at any moment now, so I wanted to hurry to meet him. 

His figure is small down the corridor. I grip onto my skirts and quicken my steps to reach him. 

Garroth chuckles when he sees me. He reaches his hand out for me to grab onto and places a kiss against the back. I can feel his lips curve up against the skin. 

"What is causing you to smile like that?" I tease, wrapping my arm around his. "Are you pleased to announce you are marrying off your sister this much?"

Garroth pants his hand on mine, moving us forward. I have to admit. It continues to feel strange being in front of everyone in a lineup. Though, I must admit, it has its advantages. 

"Perhaps I am. She sasses me far too much," he jokes. "Though, let me get a proper look at you. I want to make sure you're acceptable."

I let go of him, crossing my arms over my chest. Garroth's eyes scan over my body, and I roll my eyes at this. I'd walk in front of him if I could. 

"I believe you are doing this to be perverted, Your Majesty."

A corner of his lip curves up into a cocky grin. "I don't quite understand what you mean. What is this 'perverted' you speak of?"

I lower my arms from my chest, reaching forward for him. While I am not in charge here, this is my way of telling him to move forward. "I should've married someone with greater intelligence," I state. 

"My father should've chosen someone for me to marry that wasn't cruel," Garroth retorts. 

His tone has a playful glint in it, so I don't sass back at him. Instead, I squeeze his arm and feel him take a step forward. 

"Must I remind you that I was the one to think of this suitor for your sister?" I question. 

He stops once more. "I suppose you're right," he says to me. Garroth quickly leans towards my ear. "But you do look quite wonderful." 

As fast as he was to stop his strides and lean towards my ear, he is as quick to resume walking again until we reach the entrance. 

To outsiders I wonder if they believe my rosy cheeks are from extensive blush or from being flustered. Though, looking at Garroth, he appears composed. I have yet to master that skill.

"Let's see how this unfolds," I mumble to myself.