chapter twenty

Lillian walked in with her chin tilted upwards with a sense of confidence. I was informed early on that she knew her way around most of the corridors, and this was due to being on court. It was nearly sickening to watch, and a slight sense of nervousness struck me in my stomach. For a moment I forgot I was pregnant and was pleasantly surprised when I reached down and found my stomach to be quite large. 

Now, Lillian is sitting across from me plucking two sugarcubes from in front of her and mixing them into her tea. I've already prepared mine, but the spoon lingers in my grasp. 

I've seen her in court, but she must be on the younger side of it. Of course this is evident with what I have been informed regarding her, but we've never officially spoken when court is around. She normally keeps her distance from me, secretive whispers leaving her lips to the bright haired woman that lingers around her. Vylad tells me this is Ivy, and he has a distaste for her as well. He tells me he internally dies when she laughs. 

"How long have you known Zane for?" I ask, letting the spoon lay down. The rim of the teacup sits against my lip before I sip from her. 

"I've known His Highness all my life. We're the same age, as you should know. My family has always been on court, so we were around each other at a fairly young age." 

My mouth opens in shock of her attitude, but I clamp it shut into a smile and nod. "Of course. I understand how those our age may be dear to us. It warms my heart Zane was able to find happiness in a friend." 

Lillian doesn't say anything else and instead hums. She drinks from her tea, staring down at it in disinterest. 

Court in O'Khasis is definitely a lot larger than in Meteli. Of course the size of a country takes into account this, but there weren't many children of those in court that were closer to my age. They were always around Laurance and Cadenza's age. And while this isn't far off from my own, I was still seen as one of the babies who cried for her governess. 

"You're not from around here, correct? You're from a much. . . smaller country. It's understandable why your knowledge on O'Khasian history is limited." 

"Why, yes. Meteli is quite small compared to O'Khasis. However, I like to believe that hasn't prevented me from my duties."

She hums again, looking away from me. 

This is only the beginning of tea. 

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

I haven't seen Kandi ever since she married Aaron. Garroth has seen her since then, as he has taken business in Falconclaw, and he often reports to me how Kandi is doing well. She appears to be healthy, and she's glowing from newlywed bliss. I wonder how long this bliss will last before the next step commences. 

She has decided to spend two days in O'Khasis regarding "business matters." It was a rather secretive decision, and Zianna is waiting for her to arrive. The only thing is is that Kandi has already arrived, and we're taking a brief walk to share what has been going on. 

"Vylad told me Zane proposed to Lillian?" 

I roll my eyes. I had tea with her today, and yet it won't seem to go away. 

"Yes, recently, in fact. He's smiling far more often than ever. She truly makes him happy." I can only say that half genuinely. After properly meeting Lillian, I prefer the unknowingness I was in before. 

"She's a snob. Don't you believe so too?"

I stop and reach for Kandi's arm. Both my hands quickly grasp onto her bicep, looking her in the eyes. "Garroth says the same. While he is correct on many things, I had hoped he was wrong regarding this. But, oh Kandi, she's a snob amongst many other things. I am a lady and a queen, so it is wrong for me to elaborate on her other traits."

"Ah, so afternoon tea went wry." 

I explain to her how an afternoon I was hopeful for soon turned into a stable filled with rancid horse waste. How Lillian knew exactly how to word her statements, used my title, but how she was rude. How she undermined me because I am from Meteli. How she implied I am unfit to be a ruler of O'Khasis because of where I am from. She claims she would never wish to be a queen herself, but it was evident I was not the queen she desired. 

"I've never liked her. Between her and Ivy, court outings became a time I searched for wine upon arrival. They're intolerable, and yet one is going to possess what was once my last name." 

I groan, "And now she'll taint what is now my name."