Living Is Difficult

Living is difficult...

So what were they right now? They're not alive. They were very much dead. However, they're still... here. They're still roaming around the streets like they were alive.

It also didn't help that they can't seem to remember a lot of things from when they were alive. Fragments of past emotions they can't figure out the cause of loom over them everyday like a storm cloud. Feelings of loneliness, abandonment, betrayal, confusion, sorrow, and more always follow them whenever and wherever.

They found out the hard way how weak they were during the day. The wave of exhaustion they felt when they first wandered around in broad daylight overwhelmed them to the point that they took shelter inside a dumpster. They have upgraded to the school's storage room ever since and that's where they've stayed during daytime. Once all the students and staff left the building, they wander around aimlessly during the night.

They always pass by the flower shop for a reason even they don't know. There's just something familiar and... comforting about the place and those feelings don't come often. Heck, anything remotely resembling positivity rarely ever interacts with them.

Living is difficult...

What's the deal with their pronouns anyway? Did they used to go by something other than a boy or girl? Is that why they refer to themselves as "they"? If so, that wouldn't make much sense, right? Their name is...

Their name is...

...

What was their name? Why can't they even remember something as simple as their own name!? Why are their memories locked away somewhere they can't find!?-

A series of whines, gasps, and a few screams temporarily brought them out of their thoughts. It was like the building they were passing by had the residents deciding to have a nightmare at the same time.

Nightmares...

They've seen so many people have nightmares and they don't know why. Everywhere they go, at least one person is experiencing a night terror.

Of course, it hasn't escaped their mind that maybe they are the cause of this. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch since the odds of them seeing or hearing a person have a nightmare whilst just walking by is astronomical.

The question is how were they able to do this?

All they're doing is walk or float down the streets. It's not like they're doing something extraordinary to cause this. So why were they supposedly the one bringing nightmares to people?

Yet another thing that doesn't make sense!

Living is difficult...

A few stray cats were looking at them like usual. Watching them with great interest as they walked down an alleyway. They don't know why but it seems as though only cats were able to see them. Do cats have superpowers? That would be cool.

Cats...

...

There's something familiar about the animal but they can't put their finger on what it is. Did they have a cat when they were alive? Were they attached to cats back then? Did someone they knew had a cat?

Does anyone even remember them?

Were they also practically invisible during their lifetime?

How were they able to turn completely invisible at will when tightening their hoodie?

...