Chapter 1 - The crater

People were constantly talking about our supposed romance, making videos of our shared looks and interactions. Whenever I was overthinking about it, I went online to read the comments and at least have a laugh.

She was young and innocent, pretty much like it was on the movie. She had been an amazing co-star, full of patience and tact to help us (more likely, to help me) through the most intimate scenes.

Funnily enough, I have always been very free to flirt with people, it didn't matter if it was male or female, but mainly because it didn't mean anything. It felt as if it was part of promoting a movie, part of the show. I'm a jokester and I think good chemistry helps with sales.

However with Rooney I felt as if I had to restraint myself, because at times it was overwhelming. It was as if she managed to open a can or worms, to ask a question I have never asked myself. And what's scared me the most was the answer that shook my life like an earthquake.

I could fall for a woman.

It was like a crease opened in my heart, Rooney's crater was the name I put to that new feeling. It felt like a time-bomb that would explode if the right person pulled the trigger.

_______

"Well I do think this would make a great movie. We will probably need to figure out schedules", I said over the phone talking to Gary. "Who's on board already?"

"There should be eight, but so far, Sandra Bullock, Sarah and Helena. We're still talking to Rihanna and Anne. They are interested, but have a scheduling conflict. However it seems we can sort it out" he said.

"Great, so logistics we can fix with Hylda. Thanks for this offer"

"Amazing, Cate! So talk to you later"

One year and a half in the US, in between California and New York. This could be the time off I had been talking with Andrew. The kids were older now, and it seems like it would be perfect.

"So..." said Andrew walking into my studio.

"Yeah...I decided to take up on the movie. I really like it, and..."

"And it's a year away, isn't it?". He sounded upset, but upset that we was in fact relieved. I just nodded.

"We can talk later on about dealing with the kids, but you can visit during the summer. And I'll probably have a week or two off so we could go away"

He was pacing, looking down. "Okay. When will you go then?"

"In a month"

"I was thinking I should move out. But maybe we can stay together for a month, and then I will stay with the kids. If that's okay with you"

I froze at that comment. "Andrew, I never asked you to leave".

"Not with words, I give you that. But you can't stand to be near me, and before the fall out, you couldn't kiss me or even hug me" he stated. He was right, completely right. "You came back different".

The fall out. Well, at least we both have names for the situation. Rooney's crater. It not only cracked my heart, but my marriage.

"We can stay here for a month, and then I'll leave".

He nodded and began to walked out of the room.

"I'm sorry, Andrew. That's all I can say". It was the first time I could say that.

"So am I, Cate. So am I"

_____

"Be good, guys. I'll see you soon. Don't give hell to your dad" I said over FaceTime. Their faces were all joyful, because they were definitely going to take advantage of being mom-less.

"Send us a video with Rihanna!" "Yeah, mum, and her autograph!"

"Sure. Take care of your dad too. Bye babies, I love you with all my heart"

"Love you, muuum!"

As the plane took off, I felt as if I was beginning a whole new chapter. It was weird to feel like a temporary "child-less" single woman.

____

"Catie!"

"Sarah! I thought you were going to get here next week". I hugged her, genuinely happy to see her. Over "Carol" we became good friends, and I felt at ease to know someone before filming.

"Yeah, but Holland and I had to reschedule a trip, and I managed to get here before". Every time she talked about Holland, her eyes shined like stars. To feel like that again...

I smiled at the thought.

"What are you smiling about?", she asked laughing.

"Nothing, you're cute when you talk about her"

"She's always cute" said a voice coming from behind.

"Always the flirt" said Sarah, rushing over to hug Sandra. "Great to see you again!"

"It is! It was about time to film together". They let go of her embrace, and I was just staring. Starstruck, I think.

"Sooo, I suppose I don't need to introduce you guys"

"Not at all. It's lovely to see you again, Cate" said Sandra smiling and kissing my cheek. Everything blew up at that point.

I stood there, as time went slowly around her.

This is new.

____