Chapter 13 - The bubble burst

(A/N: I'm sorry this took forever! Life has been hectic lately. I've read all of your comments and quick reminder that they make my day all the time. I love that you're reading this craziness! <3) 

______

Sunday went by pretty quick. And we came many times.

I don't know how many times we made love before leaving. And I don't think we forgot any surface of the room. It's like we were hooked on something.

"Just stay there away from me. Otherwise I'll never get this bag packed". She wasn't even looking at me.

"May I remind you this was your idea in the first place?"

"I am aware, Catherine. But in my defense, this wasn't my plan"

"What was the plan then, Sandra?", I said mocking her accent.

"I don't know. See the sights?". We burst into laughing.

"Oh, I saw some sights". I moved closer and hugged from behind, inhaling her hair.

"You're such a dork sometimes", she held my arms around her.

"You make me a dork"

"You're not helping your case with that cheesiness"

"But you love my cheesiness!"

She turned around in my arms and put her own around my neck. "I do, but I don't know why"

Our foreheads were touching as we stayed there just breathing each other's presence at that time.

___

She parked the car, and we walked into the hotel lobby. We were still laughing as we walked to the elevators.

"Mom!". I saw her face change into panic. Obviously not because of Louis, but because of the reason behind his presence.

"Mommy!". A little girl whom I assumed was Laila rushed to her. They hugged her all excited.

"Surprise", a male voice said coming closer. "We were waiting for you"

Bryan.

I held my bag as hard as I could. If I didn't like him before, now it was breaking me to see him there. Smiling as if nothing happened. But mostly, because I was sure he was there to get her back.

I didn't dare to move or breathe. I was looking at her, hugging her kids, trying to smile. I could read the conflict in her face.

"Hey", she said to him.

"You definitely seem happy to see us, Sandy". The nerve of this guy. I thought I was gonna cut the circulation of my hands from holding so hard the handles of the bag.

She noticed, but wasn't sure of what to do next. She looked at me as in a plea to help her.

"So I suppose you're Louis and Laila. It's a pleasure to meet you"

"Guys, meet Cate. You know you've seen her before in movies"

Which of my movies could they've possibly seen?!

"You're the stepmother", said Louis. I opened my mouth in horror.

"Cinderella's" said Bryan, holding his hand out. "It's an honor to meet you, Cate"

I could hear Sandra in my mind begging me to play nice. "Pleasure" I managed to say shaking his hand, faking a smile.

This should get me a fucking Oscar.

"So how long are you visiting mommy for?", I asked them to break the tension and probably shake off the need to break this hand.

"Three days" replied Laila holding two of her tiny fingers. Sandra was carrying her with one arm.

I smiled and took another of her fingers. "You're missing one more little finger, cutie"

She giggled and held her arms out to me, wanting me to carry her. She wiggled out of Sandra's grip, and I grabbed her. Sandy smiled at her little girl and then at me.

"That's how much you missed your mama"

"She's pretty" said Laila, playing with my hair. Sandra softly looked at me, and I know she wanted to die right there.

"So, what about we go up to mommy's room to let her freshen up?", said Bryan breaking the moment.

"Oh, yeah. You're probably tired as well"

Bryan took Laila from me, and Louis grabbed Sandra's hand. They were a family, weren't they? As if on cue, the elevator dinged and he rushed in. "You coming?"

"Yes"

"No"

Sandra and I looked at each other, not knowing how to handle it. "I have to go to the front desk for a moment. You guys go ahead", I said taking a step back.

Sandra hesitantly joined them in the elevator, knowing there wasn't anything else she could do.

I stood there while the doors closed, looking at her.

What happens in Long Beach, stays in Long Beach.

____

"There you are!", a voice startled me. I stood there for a while, not knowing what to do. "Where have you been?"

"Hey, Paulson"

"Could you be a little bit more excited to see me?"

"Sorry, I'm just..."

"What happened? What's up? Why are you carrying that bag?". Now she looked at me concerned. "Are you okay?"

"I... yeah. Can you take me somewhere? Anywhere?"

"Sure, sure. Bar?". She grabbed my arm and walked me to the hotel bar. I probably looked like a zombie.

We sat down in a booth.

Carol remake much?

"So what happened? Where were you these days?"

"Uhm. I went away, just for the weekend"

"And that caused you brain damage? Or why were you roaming the elevators with that bag?"

"No, I just came back. And something shocked me, but I'm okay"

"What did shock you? Did you go away on your own?"

I stared at nothing, I couldn't tell her about what happened. Hell, I didn't even know what happened. I assumed we were going to talk with Sandy when we got back about dealing with this. Were we together? Were we supposed to be a secret?

"Cate?"

"Yeah, no I went with Sandra. Just to chill. I'm okay"

"You know, you can repeat that as many times as you want, but that doesn't make it true. Listen, I won't push the subject, but I just want to know if I can do something for you?"

"No, I only need a drink I think. Thanks for startling me"

I knew she was analyzing me, and she was at least aware of things with Sandra. I thought that maybe all of them knew or felt something was up between us. The jokes, the glances, we were different together. But for all they knew, I was married and she had Bryan.

"Want to talk about something else?"

"Yes, please"

"Holland's coming over. Otherwise I'm gonna crawl up the walls if I don't get laid"

That did startled me and made me laugh so hard.

"Are you now?"

"Nah, I'm kidding. But still, she's coming over for a week. If you're free those days, we should hang out together"

"Absolutely! I'll check my shooting schedule"

I couldn't thank enough for Sarah's friendship.