Chapter 7 - Jealousy

What do you wear for your first lunch with Sandra Bullock? I showered and sat down thinking about what to wear. But mostly about our little exchange back there.

Why Sarah? Was she reading more into it? Was it us "holding" hands?

I didn't have much time, so I decided for a simple shirt and some jeans, a pair of boots and coat.

I went down to the lobby to wait for her. She was already there, fidgeting with her fingers, but looking amazing with a turtle neck and her curly hair down.

We smiled at each other. "So where should we go?"

"Well you invited me, so I'll let you lead"

"Me? The tourist? The Australian woman in New York?"

She laughed at me. "Let's go, Aussie girl. We will find something to feed you"

__

We finally settled for a small Italian restaurant. Nobody seemed to care that it was us, so we were comfortable in there.

"Can I ask you something? But feel free to avoid the answer"

"Uhm, sure. Ask away, Miss Blanchett"

"It's just...yesterday you seemed a tad angry. And I was wondering if you were okay or if I could help out in any way. But if I'm pushing boundaries here, I apologize"

"Oh" she said. She didn't flinch at all. "No, it's fine. Actually, I'm thankful you asked, I know you're not prying or anything". She took a sip of water and thought about where to begin.

"I was fighting with Bryan. Well I mean over text, which I find ridiculous. Are we teenagers?" She was very histrionic, moving her hands and making all these faces. "Anyway, what I think it's bothering me the most is that I feel as if we had lost respect for each other"

"However you mean?" I asked.

"What you saw yesterday was nothing. I mean this is just our daily basis, and obviously it's a lot worst when we're facing each other. He's getting really angry lately, about the tiniest stuff. He wasn't like that before. You know? It's like the person you live with is now a complete stranger"

She kept looking at me waiting for some reassurance, I thought.

"Yeah, I know what that's like"

"Has it ever happened to you? Your husband seems lovely though. And you guys have been together since... forever, right?"

Funny that.

"He's a great guy, and definitely the best father for our kids. I think I'll always love him for being my partner in raising them"

"I know what you mean. But, isn't that different from, you know, being a couple?" She said. She was completely right. "I don't mean to overstep, but I feel like you talk about him as the father of your children, but not as your husband. Which I understand, because lately I think I'm grateful that Bryan was there for me and the kids, but..."

We looked into each others eyes, knowing we were feeling the same way about our partners.

"But it's over", we said at the same time. We both widened our eyes and chuckled at the coincidence.

"Are you..." she was hesitant to ask.

"No. I mean, I don't know. We are taking some time off, which after 17 years or so, seems like a lot. But we haven't decided on a final thing right now. However I can sense where is this heading, and I think it's for the best"

She just waited for me to continue. "The kids will be alright in any case. We're very civil to each other, but I think if we don't take the next step, all the friendliness could end"