chapter ten

Maven's Pov
I'm already late by the time I get to the office because i wasn't expecting Marlowe to call last minute and say she wouldn't make it because of her daughter. I'm a parent so i understand that kids always come first. I walk out of my private elevator with Paul already there handing me my hot mocha coffee.

"Fill me in Paul,"

"You have a meeting at noon with the CEO of Brand Beauties about adding their make up line to the magazine and now you have one in the boardroom with the staff," he says before my phone buzzes and its weekly schedule with everything I need to know or do for this week. "Thank you Paul,"i say getting into my glass office to put my things there before going to the boardroom. "Good morning people, i need updates!" I say walking to the front of the table with eyes all on me and i already know it's about to be a long day.

I dismiss everyone but the head of fashion, he's good at what he does and lucky for me he's the queer friend i didn't know needed. "I'm having a meeting with the CEO of Brand Beauties about adding their collection to the magazine and i need your opinion on it. Do you trust this brand?"

"It's an upcoming one and the magazine could use a new line that's not overly popular to give the magazine a new reface,"he says and I'm already glad i asked because I trust his intuition and he knows fashion that's why he's their leader. "Thank you Marc," i say giving him a half smile before he pffts it and walks away. Sometimes he forgets I'm his boss but then again we both started here as interns. When i get back to my office there's a person seated in my office but their back is facing the full glass window that shows the clear view of New York City.

"Who's in my office?" I ask Paul at his desk which is just outside my office. "She said she's your driver?" He says and i already know who it is. I nod my head in realisation and walk in. There she is in a suit that Frankie insisted she must have because she's always professional about things. Presentation is everything.

"Hey Marlowe, is everything okay?"

"Yeah...i err...I wanted to come apologize in person for inconveniencing you today," she says scratching the back of her neck before standing up reminding me once again of the height difference.

"You don't have to, i have a kid too and I'd drop everything if she needs me,"i say genuinely and she smiles showing me how her cheeks form to reveal her cute dimples and i concentrate on the action shamelessly. "You really have a nice smile,"i say thinking out loud. "Thank you. I'll wait for you in the car,"she says abruptly fishing out her ringing phone and turns to leave but not before i notice a tattoo i hadn't seen on her neck before which looks clearly handwritten by someone who isn't a tattoo artist with the writing ;            
                Love, MB❤️

I couldn't get a better look because she'd know i was prying. I go back to reviewing the writing an intern submitted. She has great potential but her work lacks one thing, herself. There's no her in the pieces and readers like to feel relatable. Like it's not for them it's with them. It's as if she's always timing before she gets here because I'm about to head to the meeting when Tommie walks in with the usual and a long face. I open my mouth to possibly bash her but my phone rings and i can see it's a call from Arlos teacher.

"Hello Mrs Lefèvre," she says butchering that french name but i don't blame her. Not everyone speaks or wants to speak french.

"Is everything okay?"

"Arlo just had an allergic reaction and is at the nurse's office and it's getting worse so we called the ambulance," she says making my heart beat faster. Why did she let her have Kiwi and i specifically listed that as one of her allergies because i have it too? "Is everything okay?" She asks once i hang up the phone on her teacher. I'm so worked up because Arlo is like an egg to me and trusted them with her. But maybe I'm just spiraling because of the hormones.