Chapter 115

{I will be continuing this story through the manga. So spoiler warning. Also, I might not get everything that I write correct because it's kinda confusing to write the actions in the manga in my opinion. And the wording might not be as accurate as the dub will be whenever it's officially released. Okay, I've said enough, enjoy the chapter.}

Ow...

What the hell?

I sat up beside Sigma, who was trying to catch his breath.

We were on the ground.

"Oh my, have you come to?" Nikolai said.

I looked at him. He had a cane with him too.

He chuckled.

"Wh- Gogol?!" Sigma's eyes widened, "Why are you.."

"Haaa! The best!" Nikolai waved his hands in the air, "The way you get surprised! It's so normal person-ish, it's the best!"

How the hell are we alive?

"Even though we fell from the aerial casino.. we don't have a single scratch..?" Sigma said as he looked at his hands and mine.

"If I reveal the trick, it's quite simple magic! As you fell, you were caught by my space connection ability and came out the opposite way. By repeating that, essentially as a juggling ball, I lowered you little by little!" Nikolai explained, "Also, the fatal bleeding on your chest too. With my ability, I made this blood loop back into your body. If you receive medical treatment soon, you won't die. It was great wound assistance! Sort of!"

Wow.. he's talkative.

"As for you." He pointed his cane at me. "I'm still wondering how you're alive."

"Huh?"

"I didn't save you at all. You just splatted and somehow lived without an injury! You are an Agency member, which is our enemy and we have no need for you." He grabbed something from his undercoat, "I might as well dispose of you."

My eyes widened more.

"W-wait!" Sigma stood up and got in front of us.

My satchel purse didn't fly off of me during the fall and was completely zipped shut when I was falling. I quickly opened it and grabbed my tanto knife.

"Hm?" Nikolai raised a brow.

"Don't kill her!"

"Why not? We don't need her for anything."

"Just let her live!"

"...You always were the normal one. Fine. The lady can live."

I sighed in relief. I put my tanto knife back in my purse and closed it.

"Thank you.. But.. the one who gave the instruction to shoot me was probably Dostoyevsky." Sigma said, "Why are you rescuing me? No. You should've died in the hostage operation before! So how.."

"Hm?" Nikolai smiled, "You should ask since the man in question is right before your eyes."

"...How did you survive?"

"Eh, what should I do?" He turned around with one finger on his chin, "I mean, demanding that a magician reveal his tricks and such is rude!~"

But.. didn't he tell him to ask?

"Just kidding! Sigma would be the most surprised out of the Decay of The Angels, all normal person-like, I like that! So, I'll tell you! The trick was easy! Right before I'd die, I created a gap with my space attachment, connected someone else's torso, and the chainsaw bisected just that! Everyone was soo naive! If an illusionist were to die, escaping tricks would have to be mistrusted!"

"That's not it." Sigma told him.

"Hm?" Nikolai's smile was gone.

"Gogol," Sigma sat beside me, "You are a top class ability user with no limits. You can indeed pull off some death feigning magic. The reason I was surprised isn't that... In the strategy, you were truly expected to die to erase the true culprit from the scene and leave the Detective Agency with no way, but to flee. You must've agreed to that."

".....Certainly. That was it." He took off his card styled eye patch, "In truth, I did intend to die in order to prove the existence of true free will." He dropped the patch to the ground, "I didn't believe another person could understand that motive. And truly, no one did. Yet Dos was different. He said, 'Splendid, in opposition to God, you are fighting to lose sight of yourself.' It moved me deeply. He was looking into my essence. Dos was the one person in my life who understood. My intimate friend. That's what I thought. Then, I realized it.."  He looked at us with wide eyes, "If I killed that close friend, wouldn't we break free of that brainwashing we call feeling? And be able to prove ourselves truly as free birds?"

Wow.. He's.. kinda relatable in a way. But still dark.

"To kill Dos." He took his hat off and held it over my head. He looked at Sigma, "In order to do that, with your ability and your quiet friend, I want you to read what Dos's ability is."

~No One's Pov:~
On a highway, the sun had set. It was completely dark. Not a vehicle was in sight.

Suddenly, something appeared on the road. A raven.

Finch was standing there in the empty highway, wide eyed.

".....WHAT?!!!"