19

I found myself constantly looking out of the window. Looking over at Aresius' house, hoping that he'd be on his way over to see me. But he hasn't left his house once.

"Stop stalking him and come eat breakfast," Valerio calls out from the kitchen. I roll my eyes.

I put the curtain back in place and walk over to the plate of food that Valerio cooked. I sat on a chair across from him while he continued to move around in the kitchen. 

"He's going to come around," Valerio says while I take a bite of the bacon. "Just give it time."

My leg bounces up and down anxiously. Two days. It's been two days since I've seen him. He hasn't been reading or playing the guitar outside and I'm starting to wonder if what we had between us is no more. 

"I'm going to invite him over for dinner tonight," I speak up while Valerio is washing the dishes. He pauses and turns to look at me.

He thinks. I'm expecting him to say no, to complain that it's his house and he doesn't want him eating dinner here. But he doesn't. Instead, he nods, "If that's what you want."

I go on to eat the food that Valerio cooked for me while he cleans everything up. The grey clouds move outside and once I'm done eating I find a pen and paper. 

I write down on it, 'Please come to dinner tonight, Aresius. It's my turn to make you steak and pasta.'

When I like somebody, I become obsessive. I want nothing more than to go and pound on his door until he opens it but I know that's not the right thing to do. So I take a deep breath and walk across the two yards and set the note down on his doorstep. I knock and return back to my house, hoping he would open it and see the note.

Valerio is out of the kitchen and I go into the bedroom to grab clothes to change into. As I step inside, I hear the sound of the running water coming from the connecting bathroom. I grab clothes out of the closet, but as I begin to walk out of the room to change, I pause.

He didn't close the door all the way. I can see the reflection of his top half in the mirror. His arms are so big and his chest is covered in tattoos. His black hair is slicked back since he just washed it.

The water turns off and I can't see his reflection as he steps out. I force my eyes back to my clothes and take a step out to walk out of the room.

"Watching me now, are you, Sabrina?" he whispers in my ear, chills forming on my skin as his wet hair skimmed my cheek. I turn around quickly and see him looking down at me with a smirk.

But my eyes go to his chest. There are four scars. I raise my hand to touch them, and he lets me. He stands in nothing but a towel.

"These are from the bullets, aren't they?" I ask.

Part of what made Valerio so feared is the fact that he was - is thought to be unkillable. Multiple people have tried and they have always been the ones that ended up dead. 

"Yes," he confirms while my fingers skim them.

"What's the story?" I ask. I feel his muscles tense at my question. 

He replies dryly, "It's a story I could never tell."

My eyebrows tugged together. Putting one and one together, I asked, "Is it from the night you came into power?"

He just nods. My curiosity to know this story has only grown. Sometimes it's better to stay out of the dark and not learn about things you can't handle. But with Valerio, when I'm around him, I found myself wanting to slip into that darkness with him and hear it.