33

V A L E R I O

I scream out her name, I call it out, I try and grab her for as long as I can. But when I watch the helicopter crash into the water with her in it, I lose myself. I lose part of myself. The part that was still human, rather than a monster, a part that only existed because of Sabrina. 

I hit the large waves hard, even with a parachute. I get sucked underwater, if it weren't summer, I'd probably die from hypothermia in seconds. I get hit by a wave underneath the water, and for a moment, I want to let it take me. Strip me of all my oxygen, because I can't breathe without Sabrina anyway.

But I thrash my muscles around until I break the surface. I take in a deep breath, my lungs so hungry for air. I cough as another large wave comes, but I don't let it take me under. With drops of water rolling down my face, I look around frantically and shout, "Sabrina!"

I need to find her. I'm not leaving this ocean until I find her, until I have her in my arms, until I can hear the beating of her heart.

I swim around in the aggressive waves. They could drown me so easily but that's not my focus. I continue to shout, "Sabrina!"

I'm searching the ocean for her. I'll search every square inch until I'm met with her brown eyes again. 

I know that what I did was fucked up. Cruel. Villainous. But I had to do it, I had to sell it to her father until I was able to kill him. I did it all for her. I did it all for Sabrina. And I don't care if everybody thinks that I'm the bad guy, if everybody thinks that I'm a monster, just as long as she is still alive, I don't care. 

"Valerio!" I hear Aresius shout from behind me. Dripping wet in the cold waves, I turn around, my nose filled with the salty smell. It was hard to hear him over the sound of the waves smacking each other. 

"Get over here, and help me find her," I order. I don't request - I order.

I turn and begin searching more of the water for her when Aresius swims through the vicious waves over to me. He asks, "Where the hell is she?"

"She sacrificed herself," I snap. I speak the words bitterly due to how angry they make me. Sabrina should never sacrifice herself for anybody. Not for me, not Aresius, not Shaw, not even if it was the entire population of the Earth or her. She will always be more important. 

I call out her name again while Aresius looks to be in shock. I'm going down, underneath the water, moving my arms around in hopes to find her. Aresius' hand grabs my shoulder and pulls me up. 

"We have to get to shore," he tells me over the loud waves. "We aren't going to be able to find her on our own. We need to get to shore and call the police who are trained in this and could do it quicker."

"Do you seriously think anybody would do more in their power to find her than I?" I question. A large wave comes, almost taking us under, making Aresius cough.

Through coughs, Aresius says, "Valerio, we're going to die out here! We can't find her if we're fucking dead."

The words make my jaw clench. 

"You want the best for Sabrina?" he asks. "Swim with me to shore, call the police, and they'll find her faster than we could. But if we don't go soon, we're going to die out here."

If the waves weren't keeping my body temperature down, I'd be hot to the touch. I want to find her. Another wave comes, this one even larger. It takes both of us under and we cough when we break the surface. 

"Now," Aresius demands.

He turns and begins swimming to shore. I turn. I look around in the dark waves, and I realize, it's so dark that I can't see anything. I swear under my breath before turning and following close behind Aresius.