35

The officer's eyes move around all of us behind his desk while he talks.

"So, I'm sure you know why you're all here," he says, and I nod in my chair.

"You were missing," he says while pointing at me, then he points at Aresius and Valerio. "And you two were on the helicopter as witnesses."

His eyebrows then tug together as his eyes meet Shaw's and he points at him and asks, "And you are here.....why?"

"Moral support," Shaw shrugs, back to his sarcastic ways, since his stomach and chest are all completely healed now. 

The officer looks like he isn't fond of Shaw's answer, but decides that it's not worth his time, and he lets it go.

"So, please tell me, Sabrina. What exactly happened?" he asks me while grabbing his notebook and clicking his pen. 

I clear my throat in preparation. I clasp my hands together and start saying with distress in my tone, "My dad took the three of us for a ride. It was such a good time, and then....and...."

I begin crying hysterically and bury my face in my hands. Aresius' hand begins rubbing my back gently and he says softly, "It's okay, Sabrina. You're so brave."

I sob into my palms for a few moments longer before forcing myself to sit back upright and take deep breaths. I begin fanning my face to dry my tears and the officer across from me looks visibly uncomfortable, his eyes moving between the boys so that he didn't have to watch me clean my mascara.

"I'm sorry," I say, and he looks back at me. "My father and I were just very close."

"It's not a problem," he forces a smile and says. He writes something down in his notebook. "So, what happened after that?"

My face looks like I'm about to start crying again, and I motion for him to give me a tissue, which he does with the same uncomfortable expression. 

I hold it in my hands while I begin talking again, "My dad just started having a heart attack or something. He just fell unconscious and we couldn't wake him up - none of us know how to fly a helicopter, so it just started going down. The two of them got the parachutes...and I left myself on there so I could...."

I cut myself off by crying again and Aresius starts rubbing my arms and comforting me again. Through cries, I finish, "So I could die with my Dad."

I cry into the tissue and lean into Aresius' shoulder while he wraps his arms around me. While I cry, I hear the officer writing stuff down. 

"And you two confirm this story?" he asks the two boys.

Valerio responds, "Absolutely."

I remove myself from Aresius' shoulder and blow into the tissue, which makes the officer look even more uncomfortable. He forces himself to take a deep breath and drop the expression.

He leans forward in his chair and says, "I'm very sorry for your loss, Sabrina. But it's been a month now, so I just think you should know, we're done looking for the body now. It's probably stuck somewhere we're unable to reach."

I nod and wipe my cheeks while listening to him.

"But," he adds. "Your father did have a life insurance policy. Starting next month, you will be receiving $100,000 a month, until you receive the total 2 million dollars."

I try not to smirk as I listen to his words, but it's hard, so I begin to sob into my palms again so that he can't see my reaction to the irony. 

"It's okay," Valerio whispers as the two of them begin comforting me while I sob. "Would it be possible for us to wrap this up, officer? This entire situation is very traumatic for her."