32

The blades spin so loudly. They're deafening. That, paired with the aggressive wind from the ocean and the sound of the waves crashing made it nearly impossible to hear anything. My hair hits my face so harshly that it actually hurts.

I struggle to try and get out of Valerio's hands. My feet drag across the dark beach as he continues dragging me toward it. His black hair and shirt whip around. I shout over all the noises, "Valerio, stop!"

I didn't know what I was being brought on this helicopter for. But I knew it was nothing good, and more than likely ended with me dead.

"Let go of me!" I say while trying to get out of his strong arms. But I can't. Without any weapon, I'm really no match for him. My face twists while I shout and call out, hoping anybody would be able to hear me. "Help-"

My scream gets cut off by Valerio's warm hand going over my mouth. His lips press against my ear as he whispers while running a hand through my hair, "Relax."

Relax. Relax. Fucking relax. I'm going to kill him with my bare hands.

He reaches the helicopter. I still try and get out of his arms while he pulls me onto it. My skin feels cold against the black flooring and my ears are becoming sore from how loud everything is.

Once I'm inside, Valerio pulls himself up. He fights against the wind as he gets inside, and panic begins to rise in my throat as I realize this is actually happening. This isn't something I'm dreaming about, this isn't something I can get out of. I'm genuinely being brought to my death right now. And there's nothing I can do about it. 

"What the fuck is the point of this?!" I shout. "Just kill me down there!"

My dad turns around in the pilot's seat. He shakes his head and speaks with a smirk, "It needs to be an accident for me to collect your life insurance. So, what is better than a tragic helicopter crash? You died, I survived....I become the biggest victim. The man that lost his wife and his daughter."

I stare at him. Shock, betrayal, I don't know what I felt most strongly. I just stare at him with my lips parted out of shock.

Part of me blames myself for this entire thing.

None of this would've happened if I didn't marry Valerio. If only I wasn't so stubborn, if only I wasn't so angry, if only I wasn't so focused on revenge. My life is going to end in revenge. And I brought it all upon myself, by marrying a man that has played me for months. 

"We're going up now!" my dad turns around and shouts. But then he looks at me over his shoulder. "Do try and enjoy the view, Sabrina. It's a beautiful one to be your last."

My bottom lip trembles. I don't even have anything to say. My dad presses multiple things and the blades begin to speed even faster, preparing to take off.

"Are you proud of yourself?" I ask Valerio. I remain sitting on the ground, but he's standing up. I look up at him. I look at the man I saw a future with. A man that I found humanity in when everybody else saw him as a walking corpse. "To kill the only person that will ever love you."

"You talk a lot," he says. He then pauses. "Do you remember the day we met?"

My eyebrows lower. I didn't understand why he was asking me that. Not wanting to talk, I just nodded in response.

"When I crossed that room toward you, I had been standing in the bathroom for 30 minutes beforehand, trying to gather up the courage to," he tells me, and my eyes remain on him the entire time. He slowly walks over to me and my back presses against the wall. He leans down before me and locks his eyes on mine. "I knew you were untouchable. Bitchy. Didn't let anybody near you. And I liked that - no, I loved it."