31

Leigh was finally adjusting to working while having a child. She knew it wasn't easy as she missed being around her baby.

But she knew she was doing whatever she could for the sake of her family.

She knew how she and Tom had been trying their hardest to make it work. Both of them wanting to give their daughter the life they never had.

While it wasn't always easy, they were doing the best they could. Leigh loved being a mum to Polly. She wanted to be the best mum she could.

All she knew was that things were going well for her. And she wanted to keep it that way.

Morning came all too quickly for her. She smiled as she saw Tom sitting there feeding Polly. "Hey look darling. Mummy is awake," he said.

Leigh took over feeding her as Tom went to the bathroom. Leigh looked down to her daughter. She smiled. "You are so beautiful baby girl. I'm honestly a lucky mummy having you," she mumbled.

Polly looked up at her. She gave her a toothless smile. "Tom! She smiled!" She called out.

Tom ran in. He smiled. "Clever girl! She needs to stop growing."

"If only she would babe."

Tom kissed her and smiled. He looked to her. "I don't want to lose you. Ever."

"You won't. I promise."

Tom took Polly and watched as Leigh walked into the bathroom. He knew he was worried about them falling apart. But he couldn't let it happen.

***
Leigh went into work with Tom. Tom kissed her as he took Polly to the crèche. Leigh walked over to her sister. "Hey mamma to be. How are you?" She asked.

Charlee shrugged and smiled. She looked to her. "I don't know. I feel like I can't do this. I can't be a mum. Max will be a better father than I can be a mother. And I have to do what's best for this baby."

Leigh smiled. She took her hand. "Listen. It will be okay? I know you can be a good mum. I know you don't feel like it. But it will be okay."

Charlee was crying. "Tell max and mum that I can't do it. I can't be here. I need a day off," she said as she got in her car and drove off.

***
Leigh sat in the staffroom with Steph. She looked up as Tom walked in. He smiled. "Hey. I've just been to see Polly. She's doing amazing in the crèche," he told her.

Leigh smiled. She kissed him and nodded. "Thank you. For being the best daddy to her."

"Stop thanking me for doing the right thing. The world needs decent parents who don't abandon their children," Tom said.

Leigh looked to him. "Was that a dig at my sister?" She asked.

"No babe. I just... I was never a good parent to Josh. And I wanted to make it right," Tom said.

***
Leigh was lying in bed with Polly. Tom had gone to the pub with the staff. Leigh sighed as she tried to call him. She didn't get through.

But she had no idea how it was all about to change when she got some news that would turn her world upside down.