Chasing Answers

As far as company goes, Duncan was not the worst person to be stuck in the economy section with, according to Heather. He was mostly silent, carving something into the bench with his knife while whistling. Alejandro sat next to Heather, watching the punk teen. As Duncan cracked a large smile, Alejandro felt the need to comment. "Smiling? Whistling? This is the happiest I've ever seen you!" Duncan laughed. "What can I say? It's like all my problems were shoved out of a plane." He spun his knife and stabbed it into the bench.

"Speaking of romance..." Alejandro and Heather gasped and their eyes flickered towards each other, "You want me to hit the common area so you two lovebirds can start building your nest together?" He eyed the two, searching for the answer in their nervous faces. Heather felt the creeping feeling of vulnerability and shame filling her chest. Alejandro must have felt the same thing, being called out like this, as they both spoke, "Yeah, right. As if." It didn't really help their point.

"Blaineley was right! You two are so lame for each other!" Duncan chuckled and left the room. The two were left in an uncomfortable silence. Heather decided to be the bigger person and speak up first. "I didn't mean that, you know. It's just I am sick of everyone being in my business!" Heather said, exasperated. Alejandro nodded and placed his hand on her shoulder. "It's okay, dear. Soon Duncan will be gone, just like Blaineley and Courtney." Heather smiled thinking about her fallen foes. Alejandro continued. "I don't have a plan yet but I'm sure we could sway the other's easily."

Heather brightened. "Sierra is all about stats, right?" With a nod from Alejandro, she explained. "Duncan almost won the last season and beasted the physical challenges. Maybe she'll see the value in eliminating him. If not, it's not like Sierra and Cody will vote together so no tie-breaker. Duncan is so next." Alejandro chuckled and leaned in, kissing Heather atop the forehead. "Great plan, love. Now, I'll be in the confessional until we arrive."

He exited the economy section, leaving Heather burning with heat in her face and chest. She tried writing in her notepad but was distracted by the feeling of Alejandro's soft lips atop her head. 'That stupid kind jerk!' The rest of the twelve hour flight was spent scribbling down her plans and feelings. 'I don't know what I'd do if anybody saw this.' Heather shuddered and ignored the thought.

-------------

The remaining players collected outside on what looked like plains and grassland. Chris was still getting mic-ed up as the players started to laugh at his appearance. Wearing a bald cap and a red dress, Duncan especially hounded Chris for wearing a dress. "It's not a dress," Chris insisted, "It's a traditional Masai warrior garb!" Heather scoffed, assuming his "facts" were made up like always. Then, Chris showed off the spear it came with, throwing the weapon at Duncan. He just barely avoided it. Alejandro and Heather laughed anyway.

"Welcome to beautiful Tanzania!" Chris began his speech, introducing the area. Heather didn't feel inclined to pay attention. Instead, she noticed Sierra and Cody missing. 'Maybe she finally creeped him out enough to do something? Ha!' Heather giggled to herself. A loud rumbling drew everyone's attention. Sierra approached while dragging several cans tied to her backpack, carrying Cody inside. He looked pale and sickly as well as barely conscious. Sierra made up for this with her cheery attitude, explaining that they were on their honeymoon but Cody had gotten sick. Heather suspected it was due to the tea she had seen Sierra force feeding Cody ever since Beijing, China.

Chris shook off the weird behavior from the girl and ushered her into line with the rest of the cast. Now that everyone had gathered, Chris explained the first challenge. Collecting plums to break gourds with cricket bats and collect tranquilizer balls. One at a time, they would attempt to break their gourds while the others hit them with the soccer balls. Heather loved the idea of smacking her competitors with anything, so she was excited for this opportunity. She gave Duncan a menacing grin and waited for her turn to speak.