First day of school

Friday, August 4th, 2023

Friday, August 4th, 2023. It was 7:15a.m. and 17-year-old Evelyn "Evey" Morales was waking up to a cloudy, Fall day in New York City, New York. She did her morning routine, and put on her signature jeans, AJ Lee ribcage T-Shirt, and black Chuck Taylors. 

Christina: Evey, your friends are here!

Evey: I'll be right down!

She put on her black Bret Hart jacket and black hood. She grabbed her bag and ran down the stairs into the kitchen. She grabbed a green apple and a bottle of orange juice before heading into the living room. Elizabeth "Liz" Kravitz and Jacob "Jake" Hemingsworth gave her a hug each and she hugged them back with a confusing look.

Evey: Mom, what did you tell them?

Christina: Nothing that they don't already know. Eseret and Xander aren't expecting you to be working at their cafe this year.

Evey: Mom, I really need that money. I plan on goin' to college after I graduate this year.

Christina: I have a college fund set up for you, Evelyn.

Liz: Every rich kid does.

Evey: Yeah, but when the money is gone, then, what? You're gonna have to work to stay rich. Mommy and Daddy aren't always gonna be here for us when we need them.

Jake: Well, once you're rich, you stay rich by spendin' your money wisely, and makin' better investment deals.

Evey: And yet, you pretend to be dumb just to get a girlfriend.

Liz: Wow.

Jake (smiling): Okay, I'll let you have that one. We're just glad that you're actually eatin' again.

Evey: I was feelin' hungry.

Jake: I got the keys to the Benz.

Evey: Oh, I was just gonna walk to school.

Liz: Evey, he's a safe driver. He drives me to the spot where I practice with my band.

Evey: It's not the driver, Liz. It's vehicles, in general. I'd rather walk, and have somebody bump into me knowin' I'll land flat on my butt, then, to get--. You know what, I'm fine, I can handle being in a car.