Chapter 16

Imagine coming to summer camp in hopes of relaxation from the stresses of school. But instead, you met five crazy girls and seven sexy, crazy boys, one of which became your boyfriend, and you now find yourself standing above a bridge, looking down at a violent current far, far below, and with nothing but a bungie cord to save your life.

"Alright, its real simple. The boys have already strapped us in, all we have to do is jump. We'll be dangling there for a bit, but they'll pull us up." explained Ava.

"You say that like the cord has no chance of snapping and letting my body fall into that current! Or you say it as if some shark won't jump out and swallow me!" I exclaimed.

Ava laughed. "The cord is strong, and not even worn out, and there are no sharks in this river."

That still didn't calm the stampede in my stomach.

"I could always push you down," laughed Carter in my ear. "You wanna?"

I glared at him. "Of course not, you idiot!"

"Just trying to help!" he shrugged innocently.

"You're trying to kill me!"

"Okay, that too," he responded, smiling cheekily.

"Alright, lovebirds,-"

"Ew!" whined Carter and I at the same time. The guys sniggered behind us and Ava rolled her eyes.

"Anyway, Carter back off her. We're starting." she finished.

I felt sick to my stomach. Then again, I just had to keep reminding myself that this was no different from when I was jumping of the diving boards into the pool over 100 feet below, back at competitions.

Just imagine you're on the diving board, Clyde!

"Ready, Clyde?" asked Ava.

I nodded and she smiled and dove off. I was about to go after her, when I felt myself get knocked off and then, I was diving. My stomach pummelled at the sight of the river surface getting closer, but my blood boiled as I recognized the sneaky snickering of Carter. He had his arms wrapped around me, holding me, as we fell. 

"You bastard!" I screamed over the wind in my ears.

"Shut up, and just extend your arm!" he yelled. "Trust me!"

I shot out my arm and I saw him extend his own over mine. We were nearing the surface of the river fast.

One...

Two....

Three...

We stopped falling suddenly, jerking to a stop, my hand skimmed the sparkling water, splashing a few tiny droplets, and then we were shooting up again.

I couldn't help the excited giggle that escaped my lips as the river got farther and farther away.

"Having fun?" asked Carter as we seemed to freeze mid-air, and then we were falling again.

"I guess!" I yelled over the howling wind.

We jerked again, and started shooting up.

"The guys and I did this with Ava all the time, last summer!" he said.

"Really?! How were you not puking all the time?!" I yelled as we fell again for what felt like the last time.

"We have stomachs of steel, Clyde," he said calmly as we started just dangling, like Ava had promised. I felt the guys pulling us up, and I relaxed.

Well, I relaxed as best as I could while upside-down. I could feel the blood rushing to my face, and my head was starting to feel like it was going to explode.