Chapter 5- Kinship and Kidnapping

I always thought that cities were more beautiful during the night. It's so quiet and peaceful. Besides, if you have a nice view, you get to see how the city lights up. The lights are the most pretty part. I feel like I would be enjoying the view of Tokyo at night from my office at the Talent agency more if I didn't feel like I was on the verge of passing out.

Tomorrow is the big day. Tomorrow is the day that this all crashes and burns or turns out for the best. So, we've been working overtime to make sure everything is prepared. It sucks.

When I saw Pastel Palettes practice their instruments together for the first time, it was nothing short of a disaster. Eve was playing notes that didn't quite fit, Maya was lacking rhythm, Chisato's bass was out of tune, Aya was off key. Only Hina seemed to perform well. Well, Maya wasn't so bad. I could tell that she's just not used to playing with others.

That was around two weeks weeks ago. Someway, somehow, they've managed to completely turn around in such a short amount of time. The staff at the agency has taken note of that as well. Although earlier this week, they decided to make a certain decision that no one was happy with.

"With the lessons we've provided, plus all of your own extracurricular practice, you've all really improved dramatically! We are incredibly impressed. And thanks to your efforts selling tickets, your popularity has grown and you have fans out there excited to come and watch. Taking your newfound skills and the expectations of your fans all into consideration... we would very much like you to perform for real this time." That's what Kyoko announced.

Of course, that made them all happy. Heck, it made me happy too. Although, that happiness was cut short by that decision.

"However, there is just one problem. For the vocals, Aya we would ask that you let us use the recording we prepared before." She continues. "It has been decided that Aya being able to perform without issue is what is most important for the band. That is what I am here to tell you."

Obviously, she didn't take that well. None of Pastel Palettes did. She still isn't. I've seen her spending extra time practicing alone. It makes me feel bad for her. But I can't keep thinking about that. I need to finish the work at hand.

...

I need some coffee...

As I gradually rise to my feet, I stretch my arms and take a quick peek at the clock. Almost midnight. Normally, this wouldn't be considered late for me, but my recent schedule has disrupted my sleep routine, leaving me feeling like I'm going to collapse of exhaustion at any moment.

Walking down the dimly lit hallways to find the vending machine, I hear faint shuwa shuwa's coming from the practice room. Aya can't seriously be practicing this late when the concert is tomorrow, can she?

As I approach and cautiously peek my head into the room, I find Aya immersed in her solo singing practice. It's not surprising. this place has been like a second home to her. I watch in silence as she sings. It's apparent that she's improved a lot. Although, she she misses the occasional note.

"Shuwashuwa! Dori dori~min yeah!" As the recording she's singing along to finishes, Aya finishes her performance with a resounding note. She immediately takes a seat on the floor, visibly perspiring and gasping for air. It's evident that she's been practicing here for a while.

"You look exhausted. Shouldn't you get some rest before the concert?" I walk in, making my presence known.

"Y/N!" Aya gasps upon spotting me. "How long have you been standing there? Never mind that, it's super late. What are you still doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing." I walk over and take a seat on the floor next to her. "And I was standing there long enough to see the whole thing."

"Do you think I'm good enough to sing on stage tomorrow?"