Chapter 3: Sworn to the Night Court

A/N: This takes place 50 years after a Court of Silver Flames
Song- Daylight by David Kushner

POV Nyx:

I've been prepared to be the High Lord since I could talk. I've always felt the pressure to be the best son and heir to the throne. My parents have changed our world in so many ways, what if I fall short? The only time I feel relaxed is when I draw or sketch. My parents are wonderful, always proud of me and never disappointed. But I worry about how our people see me. The members of our court believe I will do wonderful things and I want to prove them right. Today was the day I would make my vow and become an official member of the Night Court. When an heir or heiress reaches a certain age they must swear themselves to their own court. I was disappointed that Aunt Nesta and Cassian wouldn't be there today but they were finally on a vacation. They decided they wanted some time in a warmer court, they went off to the Summer Court only 3 days ago. Uncle Azriel couldn't stop laughing when he received a post card from them this morning. We were having breakfast together as a family when Azriel came in while waving the card around.

     My mom grabbed the card from Uncle Azriel and made her usual 'awe' that was before dad chipped in with a mix of laughter "I'm surprised they let him back into the Summer Court

My mom grabbed the card from Uncle Azriel and made her usual 'awe' that was before dad chipped in with a mix of laughter "I'm surprised they let him back into the Summer Court." But my mom quickly shot back "I'm sure it was Nesta's doing but that means they can join us there next time." My sister, Nova, wasn't as excited "Mom when is aunt Nesta coming back?" I looked up from my breakfast "When you are done following her around like a pet." Nova glared at me before replying "The only thing that follows you around is Moonlight." I became annoyed with her mention of my pegasus. We spent less time together nowadays because of my responsibilities, it became a sore spot. I missed the time I spent with Moonlight. Mom could tell I got upset because she gave Nova her signature look and the conversation was done.

"Nyxie? NYXIE?" The sound of my mom calling me snapped me out of the thoughts from this morning. I hurried and grabbed my sketch book. It was rare that I had an entire day with almost nothing to do. But as I grabbed my sketch book one of my drawings fell out. It was my favorite piece I did. I had a dream about a lady a year ago, when I woke up I couldn't stop thinking about her so I sat at my desk for hours trying to remember every detail of her. The memory has slowly begun to fade and I try not to look at my sketch much anymore, knowing she's only from my dream. For a few years I had hope I would find her. Every ball I attended, I would scan the party. Only to be left with nothing. No one coming closer to her features. I became more focused on my responsibilities and left my heart behind. Plus a good High Lord must be devoted to his own court.