Chapter 6: Birthday Masquerade

Song- Azalea POV Once Upon a December by Invadable Harmony
Nyx POV Angel by the Weekend

POV Azalea:

        Waiting around in my pink gown for Calanmai to begin felt like an eternity until something interesting happened right before I was supposed to change and sneak out. Calanmai always starts at 7pm and the clock currently reads 6:41pm. My father has started to prepare, filling our house with the sound of his fiddle. Lady Jaylen, Jennifer, Jayden and I were in the ladies parlor taking tea when the clock struck 6:45 and suddenly Lady Jayden excused herself for the evening. Jennifer and I locked eyes as the sound of Jayden's chair scraping against the birch wood floors. Jayden hurried out without saying another word, closing the parlor door shut behind her. I excused myself following after her, curious about where she was off too.  I quickly stood from my chair and when I opened the door, only she was gone. Perhaps she only went to her room, so I did the same.

        Once I was in my room, I locked the door behind me

Once I was in my room, I locked the door behind me. I primped with light coloring on the lips and cheeks, I pinned up my hair with my favorite comb. It was the only gift my father ever gave me. It was on my 10th birthday, a small pink box with a green bow wrapped around it sat on the table in front of my breakfast. The box had a tag that said "To: Blossom From: High Lord Tamlin." He didn't show for breakfast but I couldn't rest and I opened the present anyway, revealing a gold comb with roses embedded into it. After my arm was sore from pinning up my hair perfectly, I was urgent to put on my gold gown for tonight. My mind couldn't fathom that today was the day I would visit my first court. All I've known is spring and I couldn't imagine everything that was out there. How many Dukes? How many palaces and rulers? My fingers quickly laced the corset up and stepped into my gold heels before I snuck out of my own room. Finally ready for my own secret adventure. The ladies parlor was quiet now revealing everyone had gone to their rooms, or so I had thought. When I snuck out to my private gardens, I started to make my way further to the boarder so I could find Lucien when I was ready, I wanted enough sun light to find my way without being late. When I had left the palace the clock had read 7:39 pm. Meaning Calanmai had officially begun. But considering the bonfires were becoming brighter, I was losing time. I used a cape to wrap around me and my gold gown. I used the hood for covering my hair as I quietly made my way through the forests. The last thing I needed was to be recognized.

I could hear the fellow fae's, the smell of the fires and liquor, light music and the sounds of cheering and screaming. This was the closest I've ever been to Calanmai but I selfishly wanted to see what it looked like up close. I felt my hand leave the tree it was once resting upon, I crept closer to the action where I could see the hill where the ceremony takes place. I could see the faes dancing around fires with drinks in their hands, my mind tried to grasp onto so much with little time. I couldn't help but scan every inch of the event before my eyes saw Lady Jayden dancing in a more scandalous attire next to my father and fellow priestesses. Her skirt was short and corset was tight with no under shirt with no gloves. Anger clipped my once excitement and questions flooded me but before I could storm over to my father and demand questions the forest leaned in closer and warned me 'Do not waste anymore time here.'