Chapter 9: Shadow of Spring Court's Secret

Song- Azalea POV Once Upon a Dream by Lana Del Rey
           Nyx POV Return to Versailles by Joshua Kyan Aalampour

Tamlin POV:

            I try to remember her face, the outline of her jaw, her wings, the way she laughed, her favorite artwork on the colorful walls

            I try to remember her face, the outline of her jaw, her wings, the way she laughed, her favorite artwork on the colorful walls. I remember she had painted the walls her favorite color... but what color? I remember leading her through the woods, I remembered the glittering pool of starlight, her soft laugh and warm skin. Everything is dark, nothing exists anymore. I hear voices speaking for me, they won't let me speak. How did I get here? "Don't think so hard now Lord Tamlin, you wouldn't want to ruin our deal." That deadly voice, it keeps telling me what to do and somehow she gets my body to obey. Her word is my command. I swore I could hear some familiar voice echo around me but who are they? I don't remember. I thought back to the townhouse. What was her favorite color? I... I don't know. Who was she, what was her name? It's so close but so far. The only thing I could remember clearly was how she died. That soft angelic face cut down by my wicked brother, those wings torn from her body and I remember the feeling of my skin burning. But the memory of why is so far gone. "Lord Tamlin, it's time to finalize the agreement with Duke of Clover... come, follow me."

           And I go. At least I think I'm walking behind her but all I see is darkness everywhere. Time doesn't exist here and all I can feel pumping through my veins is misery. Was I in a carriage? Or does my cage just shift side to side? What was her favorite color? I could smell the blood dripping out onto the cold mountain. Iron never mixed well with snow. As the cage stops rattling I begin to think back to the townhouse, the smell of a cozy fire and chestnuts. Where was that townhouse? All of a sudden I could hear her screams again. They would come and go like the wind used to do. Her screams were torture, let me find her. Fucking cauldron let me find her. Let me fix it. But everywhere I looked, nothing was around me except for a pool of her crimson blood. Sometimes I found solace in her screams because at least I could hear her voice again. The darkness began to coat me as they spoke for me. I felt my power suffocate against the darkness but what was the point of fighting it? "Oh Lord Tamlin you never told me how much trouble this child of yours was." I don't have a child, I've never been a father but I had wanted to be. We had planned to be. I felt the pressure around me begin to halt my breathing. "She's going places she doesn't belong but I will take care of it, I will take care of everything for you Lord Tamlin." What was the color of those walls?

POV Azalea:

           I've started practicing my magic during the day now too. It's risky, way too risky but after Lucien's warning I can't afford to stop learning and growing. It's been over a month since Lucien's last visit and I haven't seen the male fae since Starfall, 6 moon phases ago. I've begun to think he's forgotten about me, I wish I could but every night I close my eyes hoping to open them to find those violet eyes looking at me. When I walk under the sun and see my shadow following behind me and wish it was him.