•CHAPTER 13•

•Kobi Johnson•

Tryouts were over and to say I was tired would be an understatement. My body was sore. I was out of shape, it's been a while since I've done anything like this.

Me and Chris were just chopping it up about to leave the gym.

"Nah, you held it down though," Chris said to me.

"Right on," I thanked him, hands on my hips trying to catch my breath.

"If you don't make the team then Coach gay, I don't care," Chris said in all seriousness.

"Nigga what?" I laughed at him, that caught me off guard. He began to laugh as well.

"I'm just saying, that's not straight, you feel me?" He said shrugging his shoulders.

"I guess," I made my way out of the gym. Pushing the doors open, I pulled my shirt off my head, wiped my face, and threw it on my shoulder.

I saw Amani with a couple of girls. They were all watching something on one phone. She had on a black sports bra and a pair of black Nike Pros. She had to have been just getting out of practice.

She hadn't seen me yet. I crept up behind her and threw my arm over her shoulder.

Caught off guard, she ducked away trying to see who it was. Once she saw it was me her face lit up.

"Ew, you're all sweaty!" She said, I noticed her eyes glance at my torso.

"What do you mean? C'mere," I opened my arms walking towards her. I knew she would not want me to hug her right now, and I was in a playful mood.

She tried to run, but I caught her grabbing her waist, and hugging her from behind. She squealed laughing trying to get away.

"Nah, where you going?" I said to her. She slowed down her movements of trying to get away.

"Jabari move!" She said laughing trying to pry my arms off of her. I granted her wish and let go. She turned around to face me.

"Why you bein' federal?" I said looking around to make sure no one heard. I don't think anyone heard, but this girl was staring hard.

"My bad," She was still giggling.

"Yeah, yo bad-," I started to say, then someone interrupted me.

"Hey, KB," This random girl that was standing with Mani earlier said. She was also that same girl that was staring too hard.

I turned my face up in confusion. I was also annoyed since she decided to interrupt my talking.

"Uh, I was talkin'," I gestured toward Mani.

"Oh," She side-eyed Mani, then looked back at me, "We all were going to go out to eat after this, and we wanted you to come." She told me.

I looked at Mani, "Are you going?" She shook her head no.

"Then nah, I'm good." I waved her off. The girl walked away looking mad.

"Kobi that was mean," Mani said, she was also holding in a laugh. I just shrugged my shoulders.

***************

I was pullin' up to my house. Once in the driveway, I parked my car and turned the engine off.

I sat there for a minute, rubbed my face, and sighed. After a while, I grabbed my keys and got out.

Walking into the house I could hear the tv playing upstairs. When I walked upstairs my pops was sitting in the loft watching something on the television.

I tried to walk past him not wanting to speak to anyone, but he spoke.

"How were tryouts, son?" He turned the volume down on his show to hear me.

"Uh, they were cool," I shrugged my shoulders.

"Just cool?" he asked. He had yet to face me, still facing forward. I was standing behind the couch.

"Yea," I responded, I was confused about what he was trying to get at.

"I thought they ended at seven," He said.

"They did..."

"Kobi, it's 9:30," He stated, "You sure you only were at tryouts?" His tone was accusing.

Here we go...

"I ain't realize it was even nine pops, I waited with someone cause their ride was late, and then I grabbed some food," I told him, which was the truth.

Amani was waiting on her brother and Rilynne was waiting with her, so I stayed with them and let them sit in my car. I kept trying to take them home but Amani wouldn't let me, saying her brother was already on the way.

"I mean, I believe you," He doesn't believe me..., "I just want to make sure you're not making the same mistakes as before," He stated.

"I'm not," I said, walking away into my room. 

I threw my stuff on the floor and stripped immediately leaving my underwear. I walked into the bathroom connected to my room and started the shower letting it warm up.

I decided against playing music on a speaker assuming my mom was sleeping. Instead, I'll just use my phone and keep the music low. I went and grabbed my phone off my bed. I scrolled through my playlist and started to play What's Wrong - Rod Wave.

I stepped in the shower and placed my body under the showerhead letting the hot water run down my body. My body was sore so this was soothing. My mind began to drift as I washed myself.

My pops don't even trust me anymore. I don't blame him but that doesn't make the situation less frustrating. I just need him to have a little more faith in me.

I'm not even worried about tryouts, I definitely got that in the bag. Chris was right if the coach doesn't recruit me he is gay...or whatever that nigga said.

I turned the water off, stepped out of the shower, and dried myself off. I wrapped the towel around my waist and walked back into my room. Walking to my dresser I dropped my towel and pulled on some sweats.

I was so tired, I could barely keep my eyes open. I got in my bed and used my remote to turn my tv on. I began to look for something to fall asleep to. I ended up deciding on watching Martin. That was one of my favorite shows to watch right now. Even though it's old it's Top 5.

Laughing at the tv I felt myself begin to drift off. I closed my eyes giving in to the urge ready to go into a deep sleep. The feeling of my phone buzzing woke me up. 

Bruh who is callin' me right now...

💕 is calling...

After seeing who it was, I answered immediately.

****************

Enjoy xxx