Chapter 14

Astrids POV

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentions of severe injury

''Yes! uh could i borrow a couple ink pots and quills? James has stolen mine, alexander wouldnt dare give me anything. Washingtons picky about his ink usage, and james obviously stole mine'' He said, as i let out a little snigger. I nodded and invited him in. He closed the door and he sat down at my desk. I opened a small compartment and grabbed what he needed. We looked over at phillip and lafayette, they were play wrestling. I put the things infront of thomas, and walked over to the two.

''Laf, hes nine. leave him alone'' I said as he frowned at me. phillip took the opportunity and climbed up lafayettes back. I smiled at the two, as they stopped, and picked up one of my astrology books. I walked back over to thomas, and draped my jacket over my chair. Thomas was staring at me, and I caught him, i smiled. He thanked me, and went to kiss my knuckles. He looked at the bandages and gave ma worried look. I waved him off, and he left, quietly. I wondered about him leaving while whispering, but i looked over. Lafayette and phillip were asleep next to each other. I draped a blanket over them and smiled, going downstairs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked up, to see lafayette still asleep, I rubbed my face, wiping the 6 days of no sleep away. Washington had let alex do his thing, and then made me do his writing. I slammed my hea don the table, trying to get rid of my headache. I heard a knock at the door, and saw alex. I gave him a look and He waved. Tiredness reigned over me, as i shut the door in his face, not being bothered to deal with his loudness. Lafayette awoke with a girly yell, and i looked at him.

I sniggered and he frowned. He saw the tiredness in my bloodshot eyes. He stood up, while holding in his hand. He folded it up and put it on my desk. He sighed and hugged me, I stood there, not hugging me back, thats when he knew something was wrong. He sat in my chair as i leant against the wall, messing around with the cuts on my knuckles.

''Mon ami... How long have you not slept for?'' He asked, As he held my wrists, not letting me pick at the healing skin. If i did, it would get to the point where blood would be escaping them soon enough. He always was so worried about me, but i think that was just because he'd grown up with me. When i went missing the revolution, the red coats kept me captive, beat me black and blue. Thats when john and lafayette found me in the forest, half dead.

''Three days'' I said, and he looked at me. He couldnt tell if i was lying or not. I shook my head, and he sighed, standing up. I murmered something, and he let go of my wrists. He opened the door to see alex, his hand raised, about to knock. I waved and the two left. Lafayette closed my door, and i grabbed my quill, and ink pot. I dipped it in, and started on the first draft on something i didnt pay attention to.

A few hours later their was a knock at my door. I got up, my whiskey glass in my hand. It was thomas. He smiled, but then he saw my whiskey glass, and my bloodshot eyes. He sighed, and walked into my office. Put my quill away, aswell as my ink, and took my glass off of me. I was so behind, coffee and alcohol was keeping me going. I'd crash if i didnt.

''Thomas please-'' ''How long? Lafayette said three days, but by the amount of glasses, its defiantly more.'' He said, cutting me off. I didnt answer, instead I picked off the skin of my cuts. I was right, they started bleeding. I heard thomas sigh, and i looked up. I didnt bother answering, knowing whatever i said would be a worse statement, even if i lied.

''6 days.. Almost 7..'' I said, and he picked me up, and put me over his shoulder. I banged on his back for him to let me go. I got some strange stares from passers by in the office, and we went down the stairs. Where was he taking me? wasnt his office upstairs? Turns out he was going to his office, i just never realised it was downstairs. He opened the wood door, and walked into his office. I looked at the paintings on the walls from upside down, everythng was going fuzzy.

He put me on the couch i had woken up on a few months ago, and he sat beside me, on the chair next to the soft, red velvet fabric couch. He sighed and finished his glass of wine. It was french, but he was a black substance, but it came out as red. I shrugged it off and payed attention to him, he was deadly serious, or he was in a meeting (it couldnt be possible), which is when he drank his wine.

''Im going to france with lafayette for a year. Our parents are struggling, and they need our help, our cousins are getting married, and i cant be here. You can come in here whenever you like. Its always going to be locked, but. I want you to have my key. If your staying late, you can come in here, or if you need whatever. Its open to you'' He said, pushing a key into my hand. I nodded, thanking him and tucked it quickly into my back pocket.

He's always been so tough, and hard to break. He wouldnt win, that was obvious, most hated him. I slowly nodded, before he stood up, and i passed him his cane from beside me. I layed my head on the edge of the sofa, the red velvet material under me coerced me into a deep sleep. I felt something on my forehead, and i heard then the door closing. I fell asleep that dreaming of man i'd sworn to hate for the rest of my life.

Thomas god damn jefferson.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words: 1950