The Sorting Ceremony

The lady walked into the Great Hall, the first years following after her.

Some of the other years started mumbling about one student, Draco Malfoy.

"Yeah, his father. Lucius? I think.." One of the other years whispered to another student.

"He followed Lord Voldemort...am I right?" They continued whispering to each other.

Draco proudly strolled through the Great Hall, smiling as he knew what house he was going to get sorted into.

The first years stared up at the ceiling, a night time sky.

Harry and Ron were talking about it and then Hermione interrupted.

"It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History." She told them, shaking her head.

Ron rolled his eyes and continued walking.

The lady stopped and went up the steps, the first years stayed down.

""Will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." The lady told them, sitting down.

A tall and thin man rose from the table, he had silver hair and a silver beard. It was that long that it could get tucked into his belt.

From far away, they couldn't see much down at the steps but they didn't care.

This man, Dumbledore, had walked to the microphone and started speaking. " I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce..." Dumbledore started speaking into the microphone. "The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch.."

A ragged old man stepped up, holding a cat tightly. His cat had blood red eyes, staring right into Harry's soul.

"He has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you." Dumbledore finished speaking and sat back down.

"Wow...that's brutal." Ron muttered, still waiting.

The lady stood up and walked to the stool. "When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses." Then the lady lifted up the sorting hat. "Draco Malfoy!" She shouted, waiting for him.

Draco stepped up and sat onto the stool, getting the Sorting Hat to be placed ontop of him.

The sorting hat didn't even need to be placed upon Draco. "SLYTHERIN!" He shouted.

All the other Slytherins clapped and cheered. A grin appeared on Draco's face as the lady lifted up the sorting hat again and Draco walked off to the Slytherin table.

"Susan Bones." The lady shouted out.

A small red headed girl got up and sat down.

The sorting hat took a minute or so before answering. "Ah...I see now. Hufflepuff!" He shouted.

The Hufflepuff's cheered and clapped, the hat got lifted off her head and she walked over to the table.

"Hermione Granger!" The lady shouted out.

Hermione heard her name and took a deep breath. "Oh, no...okay, relax." She told herself, going up and sitting down on the stool.

"Mental that one, I'm telling you." Ron whispered to Harry, watching Hermione.

The hat got placed on Hermione's head and the sorting hat took a second. "Right, right. I see a lot from you Hermione. Intelligence...courage..." He thought about it more. "I know just where to place you...GRYFFINDOR!" He shouted.

The Gryffindors shouted, cheered and clapped. Hermione smiled and stood up, the lady lifting the hat off. She then skipped over to the table.

"Ronald Weasley." The lady said, smiling at Ron.

Ron was nervous, he hoped he was going to get into Gryffindor. He stood up and made eye contact with the lady - Minerva McGonagall - and sat down. McGonagall rested the hat on Ron's head.

"Ugh. Another Weasley. I know just what to do with you... Gryffindor" He said, not excited.

Ron sighed in relief and walked over to the table. He took the sorting hat off and quickly ran back to stage. "Sorry." He said, handing it to McGonagall and walking back to the table.

"Harry Potter!" McGonagall shouted, glancing at Dumbledore.

Dumbledore fixed his position and raised an eyebrow as Harry sat on the stool and the sorting hat didn't speak for a minute or so.

"Hmm...difficult, very difficult. Plenty of courage I see, not a bad mind, either. There's talent, oh yes, and a thirst to prove yourself. But where to put you?" The sorting hat wondered.

"Not Slytherin. Not Slytherin.." Harry mumbled to himself.

"Not Slytherin, eh? Are you sure? You could be great, you know. It's all here in your head. And Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness! There's no doubt about that. No?" The sorting hat continued teasing Harry, trying to make him even more nervous.

"Not Slytherin...anything but Slytherin.." He mumbled again.

"Well, if you're sure... better be... GRYFFINDOR!!" The sorting hat boomed.

Harry took a deep breath and McGonagall took the hat off Harry. Dumbledore smiled and nodded slowly.

Harry walked to the table.

"WE GOT POTTER! WE GOT POTTER!" Fred and George Weasley shouted, jumping up from the table and jumping up and down.

McGonagall sighed. "Weasley twins! Sit back down!!" She shouted into the microphone.

"Last but not least.." McGonagall smiled as she looked around. "Luna...Lovegood." She announced.

Luna Lovegood skipped up the steps and sat down. Allowing the Sorting Hat to be rested upon her head.

"RAVENCLAW!" He shouted.

The Ravenclaws shouted and cheered as Luna skipped off to the table.

The night went on and after the feast, the perfects took them back to their common room.

The portrait of the fat lady sighed. "Password?" She demanded the password from Percy.

"Caput Draconis." Percy Weasley replied to her.

The Fat Lady rolled her eyes and swung open, letting them walk into the Gryffindor Common Room.

"Come on! Quick quick quick!"

The first years all hurried in.