02

She was still praying the next day

As soon as she woke up, his annoying face jumped into her mind and she groaned at the memory. She also remembered her fall as her knee pulsated painfully. She closed her eyes, sighing deeply.

One part of their conversation— if you could call it that— did catch her attention.

"Oh, shut up," Kate groaned. "What are you doing here, then?"

The boy tilted his head, pushing his tongue against his cheek in annoyance. "I was working out at the gym. Which I am allowed to do, because I'm on the team," he said matter-of-factly.

He was on the ice hockey team. That meant a certain person in her circle must know who he is. Kate sat up straight and hopped out of bed on the one knee that didn't hurt. She bent down to pick up a pair of sweatpants and clumsily put it on, almost falling over in the process. She pulled a sweater over her head and went across the hall to the room that belonged to her twin brother. She knocked on the door, waited for a response, and when it didn't come she invited herself in.

Mark was still fast asleep (fair enough— it was 9, and he didn't have to get up until 11), his bedsheets wrapped around his body. Kate sat down next to where he lay and softly shook his shoulders.

"Hmmm?" Mark hummed.

"Mark," Kate said, still shaking him. He grunted and blinked, eyes adjusting to the light. The sight of his sister startled him and Kate scoffed. "Wow. Am I that scary in the morning?"

"Sorry," Mark mumbled in a morning voice. "You were closer than I expected."

"I need to ask you something."

"Bro, can I please wake up in peace first? What time is it?"

"It's 9."

"9?!" Mark exclaimed. "Why did you wake me up?"

"Because I have to ask you something."

"Oh my god, Kate," Mark groaned, rubbing his eyes. He yawned and pushed himself up, meeting her eyes. He noticed his sister's restlessness and reached for his glasses.

"Okay," he yawned. "Shoot."

"Okay. So yesterday, I went to the rink and there was this guy who was, like, super annoying and he-"

"Hold on, hold on," Mark interrupted, holding his hand out as if to stop her. "You went to the rink?"

Kate sighed. "Yes, I did. Look, I know I'm not supposed to, but it felt right, okay? I felt ready," she told him and Mark tilted his head.