04

Kate felt an immense amount of dread for what she was about to do

Kate felt an immense amount of dread for what she was about to do. She sighed as the ice rink's parking lot came into view, parked her car, and got out. She leaned against the car, closing her eyes. She tried to talk some motivation into herself but knew it was of no use.

Her coach had texted her yesterday after getting word of Kate's little secret training session. She was mad. Like, really mad. Her coach was very passionate about Kate's training and after the injury, her coach had made her promise to rest until it was healed. Kate had now broken that very promise. Her coach was already an intimidating woman on normal days, let alone when she was angry. Her coach wanted to 'speak to her', but Kate knew very well she was in for a scolding.

With a sigh, Kate pulled herself upright and made her way inside. She immediately noticed her coach on the ice, training a little girl. Kate guessed she was around 7 years old. Her eyes followed the little girl as she skated around her coach and Kate saw herself in her. Seeing the girl skate with so much precision and dedication reminded her of herself and how she always gave it her all when she skated; whether she was practicing or doing a competition.

"That's all for today. You did well," she heard her coach say and the little girl bowed before leaving the ice. The girl noticed Kate and gasped, bowing to her. Kate bowed back with a small smile and watched the girl run off in the direction of the changing rooms.

When Kate turned her head back to the ice, her coach had appeared right in front like a ghost. Kate gasped softly, grabbing the boarding which was the only thing in between them.

"There you are," her coach said, her voice cold as always. She skated away to exit the ice through the gap in the boarding and came to stand in front of Kate, who eyed her anxiously.

Their dynamic was a strange one. Kate was very grateful to be coached by Mrs. Choi, as she was the best trainer in the area. She didn't know much about the woman except for some of her accomplishments and her name. Kate had no idea if she was married or had kids. All she knew was that she was terrified of this woman when she got mad. Scratch that— she was terrified of this woman, period. Her cold demeanor always sent shivers through Kate's body and she felt harshly judged with every move she made.

Mrs. Choi stayed quiet for a moment, simply keeping her eyes on the girl. Kate wondered if she was doing it to intimidate her, if so it was definitely working. Not that she needed to try hard to be intimidating. Then, she spoke up.

"What on earth were you thinking?"

There it was. Her eyes were dark and she folded her arms in front of her body. She radiated dominance, just seeing her should be enough to know not to mess with her.

Kate gulped. "I... I'm sorry, coach," she said, bowing deeply.

"I didn't ask for an apology. I asked what on earth you were thinking."