CHAPTER FIVE: The Perfect Child

Everyone except the Miller parents was outside on a lovely morning on the front veranda on the 20th day of January. Surprisingly, Katherine had given all the workers in the mansion a five-hour break because she wasn't feeling too well and had asked one of the most responsible caretakers to take her place for a while.

The maids were around the backyard, sipping some red wine while the chefs were eating sandwiches by the pool, laughing away. The children's caretakers went to other places such as malls, beaches, and even their own homes to visit their families.

A four-year-old Aubrey was playing with her best friend, Kori, while Khris and Carl were busy bickering about their own thing and Caden sat alone at the door, little streaks of tears running down to his chin. He had a band-aid on his reddened right knee after falling down in the grass a few days ago, and Katherine beat him for being so stupid and clumsy.

"Isn't today just beautiful?" Theresa looked at Gretel, one of the oldest neighbors in the entire neighborhood.

"Sure is! Reminds me of the days when little me would run up and down di roads here. Heh, I could still hear our laughter when one of my old friends did drop about right there," she pointed at the end of the road, and the old nanny laughed too.

"Indeed, I miss the days when everyone was just out and we played nonstop...now it's just all about phones and that stuff, nobody comes out unless the power is out. It's disappointing, y'know?" 

"Yeah. I hope the kids won't be affected much,"

"No way! Caden is always playing with Kori and the others. He's not paying attention to technology,"

"What about the twins? Uh... how did Carl get his glasses again?" Theresa almost face-palmed when Gretel scratched her dry but long hair.

"Nearsightedness." she reminded.

"Oh... oh yeah! Thanks," she sheepishly laughed.

They continued their chatter while the second oldest son went to his older brother, "Hey," he looked up. "Are you okay?" Kori had a lollipop in his hand and another in his mouth.

"Yeah, why?" Caden replied in a tired tone, wiping the wetness of his face before his sibling could notice. 

"It's just that you look so sad and lonely...are you sure you're okay?" The boy frowned sadly.

"I'm fine, Kor, don't worry about me," the light brunette placed on a reassuring smile while the younger huffed softly.

"Fine," he said, "But I wanna give you this!" he handed the green watermelon-flavored candy to him.

"Thanks," his smile grew, and so did Kori's.

Just about when the old ladies were about to head back inside, a limo came up on the driveway in a rush, "Guys!" The voice startled everyone that was there.

"What's wrong, Lady Walker?" Theresa jolted up, and so did Gretel and the small toddlers.

"We're having an unexpected baby! He's coming!" Katherine nearly dropped her second youngest son as she bent a little to place her hands on her knees, groaning in agony.

"He? We're having another brother?" Kori gasped.

"Just go in the car! We need to go, now!" Tanner pointed to the limo as he dashed into the mansion with a sleeping Kevin in his arms.

"We're having another brother? Yay!" Kori clapped his hands together as he frantically ran into the vehicle, with the twins joining.

'Well, I wonder if he's gonna be "imperfect" like the rest of us...' Caden's facial expression changed a little before Tanner went in the passenger seat with a pregnant Katherine beside him.