lii. The locket

Song: Photograph - Ed Sheeran

"No way," Natasha blurted as she awkwardly scratched the back of her neck. "Damn, that's rough."

"More than rough," Steve empathetically responded, his eyes softening as he watched you sketch on a piece of paper and eat your salad from across the room.

"Oh, that's why she's been detached since her training ended," Clint replied, gently passing Natasha the tuna sandwich she asked him to fetch her.

"God, that must have been really traumatizing for her," Steve said poignantly. "I can't imagine how much pain she was in, but watching her whole family go up in flames in the house fire - That's just horrible."

"She looks lonely," Bucky said compassionately. "I'm going to go over and talk to her. Try to get her to open up."

"She's a tough nut to crack, Barnes," Wanda sighed. "I can't even read her mind. I don't know how to help her."

"Don't worry," Bucky gently smiled. "I'll figure something out."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey," Bucky smiled as he sat beside you, taking the drawing you sketched out of your hand to examine it.

"Hi," you mumbled, taking back the drawing as you continued to finish it.

"I'm Bucky," he said softly, extending his hand out for you to shake.

"Y/n," you responded as you shook his hand.

There was an awkward silence for a couple of minutes and Bucky looked back at the others with an unsure look on his face.

"Go on," Wanda mouthed, shooing her hands at Bucky to signal him to continue talking to you.

Turning his head to you, Bucky grinned when he saw you'd finished the drawing.

"Wow," he said, staring at the drawing in awe. "Your drawing's incredible. Looks like we have a Picasso in the making."

"You don't have to compliment my clearly shit drawing to get me to talk," you sighed as you rolled your eyes. "I don't want to talk. Tell your friends to stop trying to figure me out."

"Hey, now, I don't want to figure you out," Bucky shot back. "You don't have to talk if you don't want to. I just wanted to get to know you...I heard you like The Smiths."

Your head shot up at the mention of The Smiths.

"Are you kidding me?" You questioned with a smile as you set your pencil aside. "Like The Smiths? I bloody love them. Morrissey is my sexuality."

"Speaking of The Smiths," Bucky began with a cheeky grin as he sat on the chair next to you. He pulled it closer toward you. "How would you like to talk to This Charming Man?"

"That was a shit Smiths reference, Bucky," you laughed.

"Shit, you laughed," Bucky beamed, his cheeks curving to form a soft smile.

"Sorry," you mumbled as you reached for your pencil, but Bucky placed his hand on top of yours before you could get it.

"Hey, don't be," he grinned. "Your laugh's cute."

"Really?" You asked, your eyes lighting up with optimism.

"Of course," Bucky smiled as he took the pencil from you and helped with your sketch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, who got y/n for Secret Santa?" Bucky whispered during the mission as bullets rained down from the second story.

"I did," Clint called through the comms.

"We're swapping," Bucky said sternly. "I got Natasha."

"Sounds good to me," Clint responded before shooting one of the hydra members in the eye with an arrow.

"We're in the middle of a mission!" Steve yelled through the comms. "Now is not the time to swap Secret Santa's!"

"Oh, shut your piehole, Rogers," Bucky playfully joked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"MERRY CHRISTMAS!" Tony boomed as he held the megaphone to his mouth. "TIME FOR SECRET SANTA!"

Everyone gave each other their Secret Santa gifts.

Clint got Natasha a new gun. Steve got Thor a whole shopping aisle worth of pop tarts. Loki got Yelena a bottle of vodka and a dagger to "Stab her enemies". Natasha got Wanda a black corset to match her white lace dress. Wanda bought Tony a bottle of bourbon.

Thor got Clint a Hawkeye doll. Yelena got Steve a fossil to represent himself. Bruce bought Loki a new robe. You bought Bruce a new set of beakers because he's always breaking his beakers. Tony bought Bucky a session of therapy.

"Y/n," Bucky called softly as he held out a small box wrapped in a pink polka dot wrapping with blue tinsel at the top. "Merry Christmas."

Taking the gift from his hands, you opened it and saw a beautiful gold heart locket.

"James," you smiled before giving him a huge hug. "It's beautiful."

"Open it," he encouraged.

When you opened the locket, your breath left your body. Tears welled up in your eyes and you rapidly blinked them away.

In the locket was a picture of your mom and dad on one side and your little sister Emelia/Dawn on the other side. The pictures were taken a few months before the fire.

"Y/n?" Bucky questioned, placing a hand on your shoulder as he saw you freeze. "You alright, doll?"

"All my pictures of them were burned in the fire," you sobbed. "I cannot believe you went through all the trouble to find pictures of them to put in the locket. You have no idea how much this means to me, Buck."

"Anything for my best girl," he grinned before pulling you in for a warm embrace.

When you pulled away from the hug, you couldn't help but smile.

"Buck, we're under the mistletoe," you beamed.

"No we're not," he answered with a confused look on his face.

"Let's just pretend we are," you smirked as you pulled him by his collar and kissed him passionately, ignoring all the wolf calls the others made at the sight of you and Bucky kissing.

Bucky wrapped his arms around your back and pulled you closer towards him so your chest was pushed right up against his.

After a good minute, you finally ended the kiss.

"Fuck, that was hot," Bucky breathed out, trying to catch his breath.

"I really can't thank you enough," you smiled softly with your arms wrapped around his neck. "I really like you, Buck."

"God, I like you too, y/n," Bucky beamed, cupping your cheeks in his hands as he gazed at your face. "I've liked you for ages."

"I know you have," you grinned with a cheeky smirk. "I read your mind."

"Yeah- WAIT WHAT?!" Bucky screeched.

"Oh, my, God," you snorted. "I was kidding. Wanda told me."

"Don't scare me like that!" Bucky playfully swatted your hand.

"Why?" Wanda called our from the other side of the room. "Thinking about things you wouldn't care to share?"

Bucky's face went pale as crimson crept into his cheeks.

"My, my, Barnes," Tony smirked. "You naughty boy."

"Oh, shut up," Bucky retorted.