Chapter 7: Understanding

Sitting there blushing bright from embarrassment looking up to my left at Nathan I watched his thoughtful expression as he looked at me before he said:

"You're my friend Malia."

In a soft and comforting tone with a matching expression causing me to look at him for a moment still blushing bright before shifting to turn toward him and without a word slowly moved towards him.

Seeing this he shifted to face me as I gently placed my hands on his chest leaning into him as he wrapped his arms around me softly rubbing my upper back with his left hand.

As I sat there in his arms with the right side of my face against his chest I felt the ears relax slightly as the tail curled around my left side.

"I know that it's all strange, but I'll be here to try and help how I can."

He softly said in a reassuring and caring tone gently placing his right hand on the back of my head hugging me slightly tighter.

Hearing this I couldn't help but think about everything over the passed two days.

"What are we?..."

I hesitantly mumbled into his chest softly gripping his shirt either side of my head gaining a curious hum from him.

"What do you mean?"

He asked in a curious tone causing me to let out a soft embarrassed whimper.

"The way you've been with me since I put this stupid collar on...you can't say it's how we were.."

I softly said in an embarrassed but honest tone thinking about how happy he is when he's petting me and the fact he made me breakfast even though he didn't need to.

Hearing this he let out a quiet thoughtful grunt before going silent for a moment and saying:

"I guess that's true, in all honesty I just...it felt natural, almost like instinct I guess."

In a thoughtful and curious tone gaining a soft embarrassed whimper from me before gently moving my head to look up at him.

"And making me breakfast?"

I asked in a soft and curious tone still brightly blushing gaining a thoughtful grunt and look from him.

"I...I don't really know, I guess kinda like everything else it just felt natural to make you something to eat before I left."

He said in a soft and thoughtful tone causing me to grip his shirt slightly tighter letting out a soft whimper as I continued to look up at him.

"But, you never make me breakfast unless you know I won't have time to do it myself or on my birthday."

I said in a soft and confused tone gaining a small half smile from him along with a small nod.

"I suppose so huh..I don't really know, I guess I just.."

He said in a thoughtful tone before pausing as he thought to himself causing me to look down at his chest as I was filled with embarrassment and said:

"Did what you'd do with a pet..."

In an embarrassed tone gripping his shirt tighter gaining a surprised grunt from him before an air of realization took over.

"I...ya, I guess so."

He said in a soft and honest tone gaining an embarrassed and shy whimper from me as the ears angled down along with the tail curling closer to me.

With a soft quiet sigh from him I felt his right hand gently pull away from the back of my head feeling it softly on my lower back.

"I didn't realize what I was doing, I'm sorry.."

He said in a soft and comforting tone gaining a small hesitant head shake from me to embarrassed to look up from his chest.

"I-It's ok...I-I'd be lying if I said some part of me didn't enjoy it.."

I shyly said full of embarrassment gripping his shirt tighter before feeling a few of my claws rip his shirt causing me to let out a worried whimper pulling my hands away.

Staring at the small tears I watched his right hand move from my back to his chest feeling the small rips.

"I-I'm sorry I-"

I started in an apologetic and flustered tone before feeling his right hand softly between the ears making me jump slightly as I slowly looked up at him.

"It's ok, I promise. But can I ask you something?"

He said in a soft and reassuring tone followed by comfort and curiosity gaining a small curious whimper from me still brightly blushing giving a hesitant nod.

"Are you ok with how I've been treating you?"

He asked in a soft and curious tone gaining an embarrassed and flustered whimper from me as I stared at him.

Letting out a flustered and embarrassed whine I felt the tail softly flick along with the ears before I hesitantly nodded.

"Then how about we just sit here like this and I'll just pet you?"

He softly asked in a caring and curious tone gaining an embarrassed and flustered whimper from me as the tail softly started to wag.

Seeing this he dawned a small smile of adoration starting to softly pet my head gaining an embarrassed and shy whimper from me.

Why...

I thought to myself full of embarrassment as the happy and relaxed feeling started making the tail wag behind me.

Without a word I hid my face in his chest with my hands gently gripping his shoulders as he continued to pet me.

While petting my head he used his left hand to softly rub my back which only made the feeling stronger as the tail started to wag faster causing me to let out an embarrassed whine into his chest.

We stayed like this in silence and even though I wasn't looking at him I knew he was enjoying it.

At some point I'd fallen asleep as when I groggily opened my eyes using the back of my right hand to rub my eyes I realized I was laying on top of him.

My head and hands were on his chest while my legs were curled up either side of him as he softly pet my head and back.

Blushing bright I let out an embarrassed whimper tilting my head up being met by him smiling like an idiot at me.

"Enjoy your nap?"

He asked in a soft and happy tone gaining an embarrassed and shy whimper from me as I laid there unsure of what to do or say feeling the tail softly wag across his legs.