Chapter 11

The room had twenty monitors showing different scenes on all of them as Ego Jinpachi kept track of the current play between Team Z and Team X. Next to him, Anri Teieri watched the match in amazement; she couldn't believe this was a match between high-school students. It was filled with so many moments.

"This is… phenomenal." She muttered. There was a significant difference between the teams at the start and now. In the second half, they were flipped upside down or something, there was so much change.

Ego didn't expect such a rapid shift; rather, he expected them to shift in the second or third match, but not in the second half. Team Z exceeded his expectations fully, and Kai was a lot more dangerous footballer than he expected.

Anri continued, "These teams were nothing like this in the first half; there's no comparison. Do you think other teams will have the same change?" If that were the case, Anri couldn't imagine who they would choose as the project's success. In her eyes, the project already made sense.

"This is still nothing…" Ego crossed his hands and made the twenty screens focus on only two players, saying, "There are two reasons as to why teams are playing this way. Kai Tamushi and Barou Shouei. They brought their teams together through their actions or precise planning... Kai's even more sneaky than I thought." He grimaced at the thought of seeing Kai in his full repertoire.

His actions couldn't escape Ego's observation. Jingo Raichi was the core problem for team Z, and Kai knew that well, which is why he did so little in the beginning to make his team play better… Instead, he taunted his own teammates, especially Raichi, to make them feel bad about their play. This provoked them to play according to his plan, or, as he put it, "for the team."

The result was right in front of them; team Z was playing way better, and everyone was united for the same goal. Now the uncontrollable guy was in full control and plays for the team. The formation could use some work, but being thought of by the teenager made it impressive nonetheless. The strategy emphasized everyone's strong sides and literally made them improve.

Ego's smile grew, and he laughed creepily, "Yes, heh, that's exactly what I wanted… but I want even more now." Anri flinched. Was there anything else he wanted from the team on the first match that they hadn't seen before? and yes, there was. "I want to see your ego, Tamushi Kai, I still haven't seen it yet…"

The damned director looked like a drug addict in Anri's eyes, but truly, what did Kai's ego look like? Has it even manifested yet? During Ego's and Kai's previous conversation, it felt like there was something else about Kai. Probably because of that one moment, Ego believes that the Kai's ego still hasn't shown itself.

'Your eyes tell me everything, Kai! They're yelling at everyone else, saying that no one else is better than you... That's what they're saying.' Ego wondered what it was like for the young man to grow up as someone who was different from where he lived, the many secrets that Tamushi Kai has with his talent getting ready to Burst.

'You need ego to stay at the top for so long, and the many challenges you've gone through for developing talent, it must be enormous.' This time around, Kai was handling his ego masterfully, hiding it even from Ego himself. Jinpachi couldn't wait…

… … …

Five minutes into the second half, and already five shots have been attempted at each other's goals. The game was only getting hotter, with Barou going on the rampage and Kai doing everything to stop the beast.

'Dang it, this guy is good.' There was no doubt in Kai's mind: when Barou plays solo, he was doing way better than when he was cooperating. The Japanese had an unknown playing style; it was unreadable, making him even more dangerous to Kai. He had seen many, but nobody played like Barou....and it made him excited.