⋆⋆☾[7]☾⋆⋆

☼

﹏﹏﹏

Chapter 6 - In Nancy Drew Mode

Mia - Saturday 9:16 AM

It's 9:16 AM when I finally walk through the café door. I'm greeted by my father, who is serving customers. I wink at him and head to a table at the end of the café. It's my favorite spot because it has a large window overlooking the beach. I receive a message from Ethan, informing me of his imminent arrival, and I take out my computer with my notes from the previous day.

I finally see him enter the café. He gives me a sincere smile and sits across from me.

"Listen, I won't beat around the bush. I think something has happened to Cara." He shifts in his chair and scratches his chin. He seems to be pondering something, and a brief moment of silence falls between us.

"You went to her place yesterday, right?" His voice finally breaks the silence, and I nod in response. He closes his eyes and sighs. "I still haven't heard anything. Her father seemed off when I dropped by, and yet I can assure you that her parents usually adore me."

"Do you think her father could...?" He immediately interrupts me, "No, impossible. No one would do anything to their own child. Especially not the mayor."

He adds the last sentence as if being a mayor goes hand in hand with being a saint, and realizing the absurdity of his comment, he lowers his gaze to my computer placed between us, his questioning gaze probing me.

"I'm convinced that something is going on, but I can't just go to the police without concrete evidence. I need proof that something is amiss."

"The police?" Ethan's expression seems worried, and I reassure him, "I'm sure she's alive, but I just want to be certain. If my semi-investigation doesn't help , I'll just wait for her to come home." His shoulders relax, and he appears reassured. "I'm sure she's fine. I hope she's fine."

I smile at him, and he becomes serious. "Okay. What's the plan? Let me help you."

I unlock my phone to open the voice recording app. "First step: I'll interview the group. It will help me establish a timeline of the evening to understand Cara's actions on the day of her disappearance and her behavior this summer." He nods and furrows his brow.

"Second step?"

"Second step: either I find something concrete and take it all to the police, or I expand the circle of people to interview to include others who were present. We could organize search groups around the house to find something."

"Okay! That works for me. Question me, detective!"

 Question me, detective!"