⋆⋆☾[11]☾⋆⋆

Chapter 11 - No Turning Back

﹏﹏﹏

Austin - Tuesday 1:49 AM

I love that dizzy feeling upon waking up. One foot in reality and the other in a dream. Yet, I'm exhausted when I open my eyes. The darkness of the night immediately puts me on alert. What's that noise? I groan and close my eyes. I'm about to drift back to sleep when the hairs on the back of my neck and arms stand up. My instinct keeps me awake. I suddenly open my eyes. I break out in a cold sweat, and the heat in my room becomes oppressively heavy.

I reach for my phone. My premonition is confirmed when the name "Mia" appears, accompanied by 9 missed call notifications.

I also have a message. I sit up abruptly on my bed and grab it. "SOS Ward's house. I need you, please wake up." My blood runs cold, and I rush out of my house. A few minutes later, police sirens welcome me on the street.

I awkwardly park my motorcycle and hurry towards the Ward's house. Suddenly, strong arms block my path. I raise my eyes, ready to confront whoever it is but immediately recognize the police officer I met a few hours ago. "Where is she?" That's all I want to know. If she's okay. I don't care about anything else. I just want her to be okay. I feel pushed towards the sidewalk, away from the commotion of the officers who seem to be searching the surroundings of the house. "At the station, my boy. She's okay. She's being taken care of by the team for her statement."

"Her statement? What happened?" I'm already getting back on my motorcycle and starting the engine when he tells me he can't tell me anything. I don't even hear the end of his sentence as I've already sped off towards the police station. I rush inside the station, ignoring the requests from the officers to slow down.

I desperately search for Mia with my eyes. Strong arms hold me back from going any further, and I am powerless, just a few meters away from her. I try to explain, to pass through, but in vain. The officers are uncompromising, and I'm blocked. I feel utterly exhausted.

She needs me. That's what the message said. She must be terrified.

The doors behind us reopen, and Mia's parents rush into the station. Her mother is still in her nurse uniform. Police officers take them directly in their care. I struggle to breathe. The arms holding me don't want to let go. I turn my head towards Mia's parents, and her father pierces me with a questioning look, which I return. I make him understand that I'm clueless too.

"What! But that's nonsense! I SAW HER!"

I turn my head towards the familiar voice and finally breathe a sigh of relief when I see her. Her curly hair frames her face like a lion, and her complexion has never been as pale as it is now. Her gaze is filled with hatred as Chief Nick brings her back to her parents. After one last dark glance towards him, she throws herself into their arms, and at that same moment, I feel ejected from the police station. "Let me through! I need to talk to her!" I try to enter again, but I'm blocked by two officers. "If you absolutely want to come in, you'll spend the night in custody, my boy."

"Fuck"

I stand there like an idiot in front of the closing transparent doors. My whole body is tense. I wait what feels like an eternity in front of my motorcycle.

I have to see her. Even if her parents are there. I know very well that she doesn't need me. But I need her. I'm dying to hold her close to me. To know she's safe. With me.

Finally, the doors open, revealing Mia, surrounded by her parents who lead her to the other end of the parking lot. I gaze at her, and she eventually looks up at me. Her eyes widen, and I call her name. She seems to hesitate for a moment, but her mother pulls her arm towards the car. I watch her move away from me.

Her father opens the car door and walks around the vehicle. I wait for her to get in the back, but suddenly she stops completely still.

She seems to be talking to her parents and then turns back to me. She fully faces me and starts running.

She runs with all her might towards me, and I open my arms just in time for her to jump into them. Her citrus scent overwhelms all my senses, and I only feel her. I close my eyes, bury my face in her hair, and hold her tightly.

"I was so scared, Mia."

"I know, I'm fine. I saw... I saw..." She can't speak. "Shh, it's all right, Mia. I'm here."

Her breath is erratic, and she holds me even tighter. Her arms around my neck make her stand on tiptoes, and she reluctantly lets go of me. She loosens her embrace, and I rest my forehead against hers.

"Everything is okay, understood? Your parents are waiting for you, but I'll be at your place tomorrow morning at the first hour. You better tell me everything."

"I promise you, Austin."

I gently stroke her cheek, and my thumb rests on her lips. She closes her eyes for a moment, and with the last of my strength, I finally pull away from her. I take her hand and lead her back to her parents' car. She settles into the seat, and after one last look at her, I wave goodbye to them and close the door.

The car starts, and I watch her fade away into the night.

⋆☾⋆

yes it's a PLL ref (spoby 4 ever lol)

no but i loved writing this

byyye

🐝